Skip to content
Need a Solution for my Struggling Mother
angie0168 posted:
In 1988 my mother went to her general physician because she felt depressed and left with a sample of Prozac. 25 years later she has been a guinea pig for doctors who have put her on every anti-depressant available. Her anxiety, worry, and depression have grown worse, and at 74 years old I now see her giving up - tired of all the medications that have never seemed to help her for more than months at a time. She's constantly on an emotional roller coaster. I want so desperately to help her and am not sure if she should go to a detox facility or just exactly what the right answer is. She is fed up with medication and it is not solving her problem. I'm at a total loss on what to do and welcome any advice.

rohvannyn responded:
I hope someone can get to the root of her problem. Maybe the answer isn't medication. Maybe it's in coping skills, or ways to deal with things that bother her, or even ways to handle uncomfortable feelings instead of leveling or upping or downing or whatever. Maybe it's nutritional! There are so many things it COULD be, but so few people who are qualified to think of multiple possible causes rather than throwing a pill at it and hoping for the best. I'm curious... how involved is she in her own health? Is she proactive, or does she wait for a doctor to fix it? Maybe she can work with her doctors to find then answer. Good luck to you both.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.