Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Mom Needs Advice about adult daughter!!
An_254015 posted:
Need Advice
My adult daughter has been on Paxil 40 mgs for 7 years. She is totally mess up. She is a mother of two teenage children. She got a divorce being on paxil. Once she tried to get off it. Had a panic attack and the doctors put her back on paxil. Her personally has changed. She does not work. Or should I say she does not want to work, She finds men to take care of her. After they find out what she is really like they leave her. She is almost there to reach rock bottom. As her mother, the children have asked me. To get help for her. She will be homeless soon. Please don't ask me to have her move in my house. We tried that before and it was really bad, She stole from me. And lies right to my face. This was the girl that was loved by her family. Had a great childhood. Until she married this alcoholic. My question is. When she reaches rock bottom and asks for help. Do I take her to a mental hospital for her to get evaluated? I took her to a family therapist with my husband and myself. The therapist informed me that she does not have severe anxiety like she has been telling us. She likes being on this medication to block out her guilt. She goes see a therapist only to get her medication. Please help me!

rohvannyn responded:
That sounds like a really confusing, difficult and hurtful situation. If it weren't for the children I'd say she needs to hit rock bottom so she can decide for herself that she needs to get better. It sounds like something happened with this alcoholic that her happy childhood hadn't prepared her to deal with, and she lacked coping skills, so she took the easy way out. How is she going to find the strength to admit she made mistakes, and then work on solving them? How to get the message to her that she doesn't have to be this way?

I don't have much faith in AA style Interventions, though maybe it would be a way to get the message through to her. It's good she's seeing a therapist but that therapist can't help her if she doesn't want help, deep down, not just pretending. The only thing I can say is... find out whatever she really does care about, and corner her and make her understand that she's going to lose unless she turns around. Then remind her that people are going to help her do that, but she has to do the work.

That's what my spouse had to do for me... all my best to you.

mychild replied to rohvannyn's response:
Rohvannyn thank you for your respond! Do you think if I talk to a mental health doctor. That they would advice me on where I can take my daughter, When she crashes. She has to get off Of this Paxil. I feel that it effected her mentally.

rohvannyn replied to mychild's response:
That very well may be. A mental health professional might give you better advice, or resources to help her when she decides she wants it. But no one can do her work for her, she has to want to heal herself before anything can happen. Sometimes I wish there was a "scared straight" program for adults. So she could see what it is really like when she reaches the end of this road she is going down. Does she really want to lose everything she loves and values? Probably not, but it's plain she doesn't see that as an eventuality. I hope you find some way to get through to her.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.