Skip to content
Graduation
An_252569 posted:
I graduate early and my graduation will be this December. I don't want to go to commencement. I'm getting a BA in Social Science with concentration in economics. However, my school won't announce my concentration which I devoted most of my study to. I feel like if they just announce social science people will think I'm stupid and that I picked a useless major. But I want them to know I worked hard and concentrated in Economics. I know this sounds like a silly reason but I have anxiety so now I'm just thinking about not going. Plus I don't know anybody in my graduating class since Im an early graduate and like 4 people will only come for me.

rohvannyn responded:
Keep your accomplishments in mind. Many people never graduate at all, and here you are, graduating early! That's awesome! I can understand wanting to have your concentration listed, but as a graduate I've noticed that most people say "what was your major?" and that gives you a chance to mention your concentration. Sure, only four people will come to your commencement, but you have one to go to! I didn't, and sometimes I wish I had. Will you regret it in the future if you didn't go? You have only one commencement. You have the right to enjoy it. Then again, if you really don't care, set it aside, don't go, and find some other way to celebrate your accomplishment.

Oh yeah. Almost forgot... CONGRATULATIONS!

An_252569 replied to rohvannyn's response:
Yeah. Idk how I feel about going to graduation. I didn't want to go to my graduation in High School but I was kind of pressured. Same story now but I'll feel like people will laugh or judge me once I walk across the stage and all they announce Social Science and not my focus in Economics. I don't know why it bothers me but it does. I'm not embarrassed of my major and I chose it to learn about different studies in the social sciences and concentrate in economics. But i feel if I pay so much for tuition to get this degree they should announce my main focus in the degree. I know my mother will be upset. I'll get no claps/cheers and I know people that make me feel in a way inferior will be there and that makes my self esteem go down. So I know they'll judge me once they announce Social Science.

rohvannyn replied to An_252569's response:
Well, how about talking to the folks in charge of the commencement ceremony and asking if they can announce your concentration as well? Besides, Social Science doesn't sound so bad, really. It's not like you majored in Art History, or English Lit. Nothing wrong with those majors either but they are harder to turn into a job.

rohvannyn replied to rohvannyn's response:
Oh... one more thing. If no one acknowledges your concentration, if no one claps or cheers, that doesn't take anything away from what you have accomplished. You have still put a lot of hard work into this. Doesn't your mom already know what you are focusing on? I think this might be more about the anxiety and less about the subject. Either way, once again congratuations, and whether you go to your commencement or not, I hope you have a good day then.

You saying it doesn't sound bad translate in my head it was a terrible choice. I think it gives me plenty of opportunities and with my concentration in economics probably more. Maybe going off to graduate school. I just feel like people will think I picked an easy major but I didn't I study econ,psych,geo, hist,soc. Mostly Econ and Psych are my main focus of the degree.

rohvannyn replied to An_252569's response:
Retranslate that, then, because that wasn't what I was saying. You made a choice, that choice was right for you. It wasn't a bad choice. You have a problem with how people are going to perceive your choice, however. If it's that big of a problem, don't go, and celebrate it in some other way. Then the only people who know about it will be those you have a chance to explain things to. Just don't miss out on something you will later wish you had gone to.

I really want to make family happy and i don't know whether I'll regret not going or not. Apparently it is policy from my school to just say major. I don't want people judging me and saying I'm useless or picked a stupid degree. I'm graduating with honors but I feel like people will say oh she picked an easy major and that's why she got good grades. I know I'm literally on stage for less than a minute but it's impacting me and will for the rest of the semester and at graduation. I know I shouldn't care what others think but I can't help but to care. I worked hard within the social sciences especially in Economics and Psychology. also, I think I'm the only one graduating with this degree because they got rid of it as a bachelor and now it's just a masters of social science. So I'll feel even more stupid at graduation.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.