Skip to content
Origins of My Anxiety
vincintep posted:
I just wanted to know if there is anyone else out there that has anxiety for no apparent reason. My anxiety comes from nowhere. My thoughts don't cause it and when I'm in an anxious mood my mind doesn't race with billions of thoughts like most people. I'm overly conscious of my body's health because of my anxiety and because of that I've noticed a few things. To me my anxiety seems to originate in my chest. A wave of it just spills from it and causes me to freak out. Is it a hormonal imbalance or some underlying health condition that's passed over the heads of my doctors? My psychiatrist diagnosed me with a panic disorder and has started me on 10mg of Prozac. Thoughts?

mbeetlebug responded:
I too have the same things happen. I have PTSD and Generalized anxiety disorder. Perhaps if the Prozac does or is not working, ask your doctor to change it or add something like aBuspar, an anti-anxiety medication without addictive properties. That never worked for me. I take Xanax now, and only when my anxiety becomes unbearable. Also, I journal, write poems, and meditate when I have anxiety. Walking helps, anything to take your mind off of it. The chest symptoms should be evaluated, but as a former psych nurse, that is pretty common, what you described. Can you phone someone? Also, music helps me too. You may consider therapy, there are therapies you can be taught to ease anxiety and the associated fears. I hope this helped. Also, just staying busy helps me. Hot baths with scented candles are good for some. Find out about relaxation techniques, they are great. My Best, Mary

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.