Dealing with panic attacks for over 10 years, even on medication
Wolfie2784 posted:
Panic disorder, panic attacks, depression, anxiety. If you ask me, its all the same and all linked together somehow. I've had panic attacks for 10 years, Been on medication from Celexa, to Prozac, to currently Zoloft. I have also been prescribed Advant for "in case of emergencies."
I have had them lying in bed, playing a video game, driving my car, sitting in class at college, or just sitting quietly watching a movie or show.
The first major one I had a few years ago, started out with me getting up in the middle of the night to untie my dog from around a tree. Her chain was wrapped around it and she wasn't listening to me because she was excited to see me and decided to wrap the chain around me. Of course I was getting upset, which made my heart start beating faster. When I finally got her untied, I went back upstairs to go back to sleep. All of a sudden I tasted the most awful irony taste in my mouth, like it was full of blood and started to freak. Then my heart felt like it was on fire and my heart was racing a million miles an hour. I was living with my Dad at the time and at 2 in the morning, I burst into his bedroom pacing back and forth saying, "Dad! I have to go to the hospital! I have to go now! I feel like I am having a heart attack!" He called the ambulance and when they checked my bmp's, it was at 180. The medical person said it was like I just got done running a marathon, plus I was burning up. He was coaxing me to calm down to lower my heart rate, which was working. Then after a few seconds, my heart would feel on fire again and up went my heart rate. It did this several times. The ambulance took me to the hospital were I was having them less frequently on the way to the hospital. I didn't remember much from the ambulance to the hospital bed but I remember them giving me a half milligram of Advant and I calmed down immediately. They ran 4 EKG tests on me and said everything was fine and sent me home. I haven't had any as bad as that one since but they come pretty close.

I am currently on 50mg of Zoloft now, but still keep having these awful panic attacks. I am pretty much fed up with them and I am tired of having them. I am having them every day now.
I know that some events trigger panic attacks, and I think I know what triggers mine. I have a fear of dying. So anytime something feels off with my body, I start to have a panic attack. I know that once I have a panic attack, I start to feel phobic and feel as if I am having a hard time breathing which makes it even worse. Then I have to get up, walk around, and do something that will keep my mind off of it. I am getting to the point of being so upset about these panic attacks and I know they can not be good on your health. Why aren't these medications working? Why can't I just switch these panic attacks off. Its not like I am in any danger at all. I just want them to go away and never come back...EVER!!

An_254092 responded:
I just started having panic attacks a few months ago after years of anxiety. I have done tons of research and am now taking Inositol 600mg once a day. It is a B vitamin and available online. I also take Holy Basil and Lemon Balm. The Inositol seems to be working pretty good. My panic attacks are much less severe and have reduced in frequency also. I have reduced my Klonopin to 1/4 of a .5mg at night only and keep the sub lingual tablets also to take in case I feel like I might be starting to have an attack. When I go to bed I play games on my phone until I am really sleepy and usually do Ok. I am only having panic feelings when I lie down at night now, so playing the games keeps my mind busy until I go to sleep. I am fine when my husband is home and do not have panic attacks, it is only when he is out of town (which is frequent) that I have the attacks. Calling a friend or family member helps also. If it is too late at night I just pray and that helps calm me too. I do not feel like the antidepressants work very well if at all. Try the natural route and see if that helps. There was a study done using Inositol in one group and antidepressants in another group and the Inositol group had less panic attacks than the group on antidepressants so it's not a fluke. I just hate that doctors know nothing about this and only prescribe pharmaceuticals instead of correcting the imbalance of vitamins, minerals and hormones in our bodies. There are other herbs, minerals etc. that are used to treat anxiety and panic attacks, but the Inositol seems to be the key for me. Hope this helps!