Skip to content
Coming off Effexor XR
Courage1245 posted:
Trying to get off this dreadful drug. I got down to 37.5mg dose & tried to quit, but had a manic episode, hot flashes, heart palpitations. I went back on it until I could see my dr again. He told me there is no lower dose & I have to be off it completely for at least 7 days before he can put me on Lexapro, but I'm too scared to try again. So, I've opened up the capsules & split the beads into two. It's an eyeball guesstimate, but going cold turkey is too scary with the brain zaps & such. I think it's ridiculous that I have to do this--that any of us have to do this, w/o safe, daily supervision by our drs.
I would NEVER recommend this drug to anyone. It's been the worst. And I've only been on it for 4-5 months. Dreadful stuff.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.