Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Not sure what is wrong. Random odd feelings and anxiety
SpeckInChina posted:
Hey everyone, to start this off I am a fairly healthy 24 year old man. I am currently living in China studying my master's degree. I work out 3-5 times a week. 10-20 min of cardio before lifting weights.

To give a bit of back ground, about 6 or more weeks ago I had a bit of a throat and sinus problem. I'm fairly used to these kinda things, so I did what I usually do and just waited it out. Just as it went away I was hanging out with my friends and one of them mentioned someone got put in the hospital with acute miocarditis, which he got from a sinus thing.

Now this did freak me out a bit, I looked online for the symptoms. I started having more trouble sleeping (as long as I can remember i've had trouble sleeping), some chest pains, slight pain in my left underarm, tightness in the chest, slight trouble breathing, etc., and a day or so later I worked myself into a bit of an anxiety/panic attack. I was sitting at my computer talking to my girlfriend, she's still in America, and I suddenly it felt like my heart stopped beating. After about 10-15 seconds it felt like it restarted, I got a massive adrenaline rush, I got light headed, nasua, hands started shaking a bit. After a bit I calmed down, I went straight to the hospital.

They ran all the standard checks, ECG, Holter Monitor, Sonogram to check my organs and heart, they drew 4 vials of blood and ran all kinds of tests. Everything came back fine. They said I was actually very healthy. I didn't feel fine, though. I stayed in the hospital for a few nights. The doctors put me on Betaloc and Flupetixol & Melitracen. I didn't like how the Betaloc made me feel and I didn't feel the F&M do anything. I have since stopped taking the medicine and it has been about 2-3 weeks since I have taken any medicine at all.

For these past weeks I have felt just fine. Most of the time I feel perfectly fine, but occasionally I have a strange feeling which makes me kinda anxious/nervous/scared.

One time I was in the bank and I had a slight pain in my left underarm and part of my left side of chest. This did worry me a bit, I admit. And right after I got this very, very strange feeling in/on my head. I'm not too sure how to describe it. Almost as if something on my head was moving around? All of the top of my head, like where I have hair, felt really warm. Not really tingly. More like fluid. That's the best I can really describe it. When I got that, my heart started pounding very quickly and very hard.

And again just earlier today, I was sitting in class, I had just give a presentation about 5 min prior, and it felt like something entered my heart from below, I got the same strange feeling in/on my head, and my heart beat hard and fast again.

Sometimes I'll get acute head aches or pain in the back left half of my head or neck. I also get the headaches, head pressures, faint feeling, and strange feelings often associated with anxiety. I have read some peoples' descriptions of them and they fit almost perfectly.

I have no idea what is wrong. I don't know if this is just standard anxiety or what. Since my Chinese isn't amazing, sometimes I just feel like going back home and having doctors there check me out.

I really don't want anything to be wrong with me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AshleyRuusu responded:
I'm 26yr old female living in the US... I just had my first panic attack recently, but I've dealt with anxiety and depression for almost 10 years. I haven't had a lot of tests done yet due to lack of insurance and the places I've been trying to go are booked. Point being, I think that the panic attack does something to us that makes us overly sensitive to everything happening in our bodies. Weird things would happen to your body all the time, but you wouldn't realize it. Like, if you were to think about what your feet feel like right now, you'll now -- but you weren't thinking about it before I said something. With the heightened anxiety, we're ALWAYS on the lookout for something... the fact that you've been checked out says a lot. I'm still having some weird symptoms and the fact that I HAVEN'T been checked is driving me mad... I would say rest assured, you've gotten some important tests done and they've come back clear. It's mind over matter. Talk to friends, family, a therapist... It's probably not physical. Good luck

tenseashell responded:
Speck: I am an older female and have suffered from anxiety for about 15 years. A lot of the symptoms you describe...heart racing, tingling, pain, fear of dying, etc. Even though having prior attacks, they seem to vary enough that I have been in the ER 5 times. They even kept me over and did an EKG, a stress test and injected dye into my veins. I passed with flying colors. It's been a while since my last 'attack'. I went on Effexor and it helps, but reading some of the terrible stories about getting off the drug, I am not sure that was the best route. I also take Ativan when needed. It is a terrible experience but after checking out fine heart wise, a little less so. I can sometimes talk myself out of a problem by just repeating you are ok...you are not dying...stuff like that. The mind is so complex and I have never really ascertained what triggers these attacks. They did think a lot of the pain in the chest is from acid reflux. I just take it one day at a time now. I hope you get better.

healyn responded:
This most definitely sounds like panic attacks.

I have experienced those exact same feelings many times, for many, many years. (Each time it doesn't get any easier.)
(I've also been run through the gamut of tests, etc., over the years.)

Yes, these attacks can also cause pain, or start from pain (freaking you out). (Even strange, random pain.) Since you have gotten things checked out at the doctor, now you should move on to figuring out how to deal with (and reduce the likelihood for) re-occurences.
The key is to build up a "reserve" of knowledge (practice) of keeping your mind and body more calm and increase your understanding of this "disorder", so you can help talk yourself through them when they happen.

A few other people have already given more info, so I'll just leave it at that.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Talk to GOD!!!!
There is no question that anxiety and anxiety disorders are in fact painful, and yet very natural occurrences in life. Unfortunately, they ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.