Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Drinking, functioning in daily life on anxiety medicine
An_254294 posted:
Hello everyone! I'm Steve, a newbie here.

Anyway, so I've decided to look into medication for my anxiety that has been resistant to everything else I've tried (therapy, counseling, self-help, etc.) for 8 years (started in high school). I've heard medicine like Xanax, Klonopin, etc. are very effective at treating anxiety.

However, I need more information on these medications. I do know they are very strong and nothing to screw around with. I have these questions:

1. How long do people take these medicines for? I've heard anywhere from short-term (a few months) to life. I do know they have a high tolerance/addictive potential.

2. How much will these medicines affect my ability to function in daily life? I'll be graduating college soon, so I need to know if my ability to commute to work (driving, etc.) will be impaired.

3. What kind of improvement can I expect? Will my anxiety be neutralized significantly or simply just become more manageable?

4. Finally, the biggie: Is there a safe way to drink alcohol on anxiety medicine? Ethically, yeah I know it's dangerous and it's not recommended, but I do like to frequent bars and friend's parties whenever I get the chance. How dangerous is it? Will I be risking my life just having a sip of wine at communion or (from what I've heard) should I just count 1 drink as 2-3? I'm just scared of being looked at as a prude for being sober when everyone in a crowd is drinking.

Thanks in advance!
Steve

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.