Skip to content
Insomnia is destroying me- help!
An_254345 posted:
Hello, So I have really really really bad insomnia and anxiety. This is something I did not "believe in" until it took over my life. The worst part is the insomnia. Before I started taking sleeping medication I would stay up for sometimes days at a time. I had a terrible time getting to sleep and I think this is what a lot of problems stem from. I used to take 20mg of ambien for sleep for about 6 years with no problems. It allowed me to live a normal life. My doctor retired and my new one will only prescribe 10mg or 12mg CR's because some study said women should take a lower dose, but it doesn't work for me. Ever since I have been on the lower dose, I will often wake up in a panic, crying, I started clenching my teeth, causing very painful TMJ and damaging my teeth, and I have had to start wearing gloves to bed because I clench my fists so hard at night that I will break skin with my nails and wake up to a bloody painful mess I have showed my doctor all of these wounds I somehow give myself in my sleep, but she is adamant about not giving over 10mg, and I don't want to make her think I am questioning her medical expertise . When I took 20mg. I didn't have any of these problems. I have been prescribed a myriad of other sleeping medications, muscle relaxers and anti-anxiety medication which do not help me what so ever. Some even caused some bad side effects. Since I have not been able to get the amount of medication that allows me to sleep, I have to pick and choose what days I will sleep. Since I have been doing this I have been getting every single cold, flu, strep throat, and everything else that goes around. In the past 6 months I have had strep throat 5 times, a really bad flu, sinus infections, infections from the wounds I give myself in my sleep etc. I haven't gone an entire month without being sick in a while. I just had to take a 27 day course of antibiotics with steroids to fight off this last round of strep. It is all getting progressively worse.I was wondering if insomnia can weaken the immune system, and if there is any way to get back on the dosage that worked for me. I just want to be able to sleep normally again. I just don't know what to do!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

smochi responded:
I can relate to your problem. Both my son and I have this issue. We have seen the same psychologist and both take Zoloft, also known as sertaline. I also take Trazadone for sleep. It has been a total lifesaver for me. My son opts for a hit of herb and that works for him. Sleep is critical to combat anxiety. You will find something that works for you. Just keep trying.

smochi replied to smochi's response:
254345, I was unable to see the full text of your initial post until now, so I am adding more. First of all, your doctor should be treating your anxiety, not just the sleep issue. They often go hand in hand. So many people are adverse to seeing a psychologist, but anxiety and sleep issues often result from an imbalance of neurotransmitters in the brain. Both drugs and a good diet can help things get better. Personally I would look for a good psychologist. There is help out there, and no, you are not crazy. I have had almost every symptom you described and very rarely experience them now. Don't give up!

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Fish oil 1000mg can help with the brain shivers/zaps.
Hey guys, I myself am a sufferer of the terrible effexor withdrawal. I am here to tell you there is hope in getting off of this drug and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.