Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
panicking, help!
An_254458 posted:
Hi,
This is kind of unexpected, the situation I´m in..I think I´m having Depersonalization/Derealization symptoms and or depression and anxiety.
Ok, so let me tell you about my current situation -
1. I lost my job two months ago and I´ve been searching for a new one since then. 2. I have my educational loan to pay with interest which I haven´t started paying back. 3. There are problems between my mom and dad which have lasted forever.4. I´m 28 now, and being Indian, I´m expected to marry and have children later on. But I find having children (and even marrying to an extent) quite a risky proposition. 5. Last but not the least, I´m currently home alone and have been so for the past 2 months in a country where I don´t have family or even friends really expect for 1 or 2.
These are the main problems that bother me.
Yesterday, I smoked some weed (not for the first time) with the intention of relaxing but I somehow panicked and found myself desperately trying to walk around almost not consciously and this threw me into an even worse condition. I feel like I´m holding on to momentary thoughts for longer durations if that makes sense..I feel better now because I bought some vitamin tablets, vegetables and fruits, and a protein diet. But that weird feeling is still lurking in the back of my head. I feel that there is a chance that I might have mental issues later on but its just a fear.
Can you give me some advice please?
Many Thanks,toostressed85

uno63 responded:
Any better yet? Tried ativan?

Reid Wilson, PhD responded:
Hey, An_254458-

It is quite common for someone to have their first panic attack after smoking pot/weed. The trick at this point is not to confuse marijuana as the cause of your panicky symptoms; it was just a momentary stimulus. It sounds like you understand that there are a lot of stressors that might lead you to have a sudden panic attack. You might consider thinking about it this way (and certainly there are many ways to think about it): I was stressed enough that smoking the weed threw me over the edge for a moment, and I had a panic attack. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to have another panic attack. But it would be good for me to understand how to manage panic attacks when they hit, just in case. (Which will include not being constantly on guard for another panic attack.) I need to start problem-solving these issues that I listed: feeling alone and isolated, being unemployed, needing to start paying my educational loan back, separating myself from the problems mom and dad are experiencing, figuring out how I want to address the cultural issues of being 28 and unmarried without kids.
Think of the panic attack as a messenger, informing you that you need to address these issues directly. The problem is: that messenger is really ugly and scary, and people get derailed by paying attention to the messenger and not the message. Study up on how to handle panic attacks here , and then don't let the panic attacks stop you from addressing these important issues in your life.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.