Skip to content
Trying to help teen w/Borderline PD, Anxiety, Depression
milliedog posted:
I'm finding it very hard to motivate my teenage son who has been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, depression, and anxiety. His sleep schedule is upside down (up all night, sleep all day) has withdrawn somewhat from his friends, does not have a job, and will hopefully go back to college next semester, but we have concerns due to his anxiety. How do we help him when at times it seems he does not want to help himself? The more we push, the more he fights us. It's getting frustrating. We of course won't stop. We can't. We love him. He's our son. But he has to put some effort in, or we need some skills to help him towards this. Is there anywhere we can turn?

momuv4girls responded:
Hi,

You don't mention medication? Is your son currently on meds, and seeing a psychiatrist?

Finding support for yourself is really important, and I highly suggest you looking into your local NAMI.

http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?section=Find_Support

My local NAMI has a support group for parents raising children with "mood issues". They have been amazing in supporting me, and its just wonderful to meet other parents who get it!

Take care,
-Kathleen

milliedog replied to momuv4girls's response:
Hi Kathleen,

He is on meds--xanax, pristine, adderall to help him focus and boost his mood, and yes, he is seeing a psych, a therapist, and is undergoing DBT. I've contacted NAMI as you've suggested. We're getting him help, but I want to do more--and am open to any and all suggestions.

I'm very thankful for this caring community.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Embracing Today
Hello All, With each day that GOD gives us, lets view it as a day of opportunity to begin to embrace self in all forms. Today is the day of ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.