Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
New to anxiety symptoms
sarahec1 posted:
I am so new to this, my first really bad anxiety attack was about 2 weeks ago, I was shaking and couldnt breathe and literally thought I was dying. I have a fear of dying young anyways and so that just done me in. Now every time I get a pain in my side, chest, or head I automatically think the worst and start having that nervous energy and feel like all my muscles are tensing up at once. It is very hard to sit here and go through this. When it first happened my doctor didnt tell me anything about this or even take time to sit with me and explain anything, just gave me pills and said take this and go home. I am at a loss as to what else to do. I go to other doctors and had an EKG done and that came back normal and I have another appointment lined up with another doctor...could someone that can relate to me just please help me find some kind of comfort in dealing with this??.

beentheredonethatsurviving responded:
I have been dealing with this off and on for 13 years. I also have a fear of dying young and worry about every little odd thing going on with my body, which I think makes it even harder to deal with. I have tried every med and technique out there but find the only thing that helps is reading. I go to a quiet place and read a book. I also have klonopin I keep on hand when it gets really bad. I recently found that going to a chiropractor helps out some and makes me a bit more relaxed.

sarahec1 replied to beentheredonethatsurviving's response:
Thank you so much for your reply, I wish no one had to deal with this horrible mess! But knowing that I am not alone in how I feel makes me feel a little at ease. I have a question tho, after you have had a big anxiety attack do you feel as tho your stomach is all messed up? Like bloated and gassy and a lot of acid? I have been taking one 10mg Buspar a day and it just seems like I take it and its not even helping...been 3 weeks of this and it is very frustrating. Some days I dont even feel like leaving the house.

Reid Wilson, PhD responded:
Hey, sarahec1-

I'm sorry you are having such trouble. And it gets complicated when your physician doesn't help explain the symptoms to you. If you read Beentheredonethat's reply, they talk about going to a quiet place and reading a book. That may help because reading refocuses their attention off of their worries. I can assume that they decide: "I'm not going to pay attention to this worry. It's not necessary or useful." Then they can turn their attention elsewhere. And that's a decision you need to make when you start worrying about a lot of the aches and pains: That this is just noise created by your worry, not a signal that something is wrong.

Regarding the feeling that your stomach is all messed up: when we get highly anxious, the chemistry that is involved in digestion gets redirected toward the fight-or-flight response. So it would not be unusual for you to have a sense of stomach problems after such distressing experiences..

beentheredonethatsurviving replied to sarahec1's response:
Sorry I can't tell you about your stomache issues as I have acid reflux so I take medicine for that and I don't get stomache issues. I use to not want to leave the house and still do some days. I just give myself a pep talk and tell myself once I get out of the house and get to doing something I will forget about how I am feeling. It works 9 out of 10 times. Like reading a book I have learned to redirect my attention to something else and it usually works. I have also found that if I just sit around doing nothing is when it is really bad so I try to always have something to keep busy with. Hope this helps.

diytestkitsdotcom responded:
Hi sarahec1,

It is sad and disappointing when the medical professional we turn to for help seems to not care for our well being at all. This makes us feel even worse than what our condition generally causes us to feel. I think you should try seeing another doctor, preferably one with a good reputation with former patients in terms of capabilities and manners.

As for the anxiety, it would be best to counter or prevent it by keeping your attention on worthwhile things. Learn to channel you focus on hobbies and interests that can take up your attention and time. This way you don't give anxiety a chance to get to you. Never let your mind stray or be idle because that is its chance to take root in your conscious thought. As long as your mind is active or busy over something, the less likely you'll get an anxiety attack.

Take care of yourself. Best of luck!

becky30 responded:
Hello sarahec1 i have been dealing with anxiety for 8 months. I got my first attack on May 14th. I have the heart racing chest pains, tingling and numbness in my arm and feeling like I'm gonna pass out. Then when I finally get used to the symptoms I have I get new ones and for sure think something is wrong. All my test have come back normal as well and I can't tell u How feeling normal again is something so many of us wants. What has helped me is prayer and more prayer. Telling someone who can help u overcome it helps too. My body couldn't deal with side effects of meds. Doctors switched my medicine up 3 times to no avail. I will admit in the last few month my anxiety has gotten so much better. Course in the last few days due to stress and long hours at work the mini attacks have been overwhelming and so scary. Just know u are not alone and these discussion boards have been a great help to me as someone can always relate and give u Hope that u can survive this and be normal sooner than later. God bless u sweetie and dont give up. Normal is in your very near future.

sarahec1 replied to becky30's response:
Thank you so much for your reply! It has meant a lot to me and has made me feel some better. I quit taking my meds cause I felt more anxious on them than I do off of them. Again thank you very much for your information, it has truly helped ease my mind a lot!

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.