Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Need medical and patient comment:Xanax vs. ativan or any suggestions as to others for anxiety/depression?
Anon_963 posted:
Primary suggested I might try Ativan since the Xanax (low dose and only 2 to 2 1/2 a day right now), might be more helpful to me. Just wondered if anyone here has taken both these or other meds for this condition and if so, what was your experience?
I know everyone responds differently, but it helps to know pros and cons from those who have taken them. I do pretty well with the xanax but it doesn't last long and I'd like something that lasts longer and works a bit better. I've heard that Ativan can have some adverse affects--in fact did on a relative, so am a bit apprehensive about it. Any thoughts? thanks

atti_editor responded:
Hi and thank you for posting!

While I don't have experience taking Ativan or Xanax , the linked names will bring you to a page on each that has user reviews and experiences from WebMD readers.

Hope this helps!
-Atti

ldoyle0402 responded:
Hi, I have taken both of these medications, as I suffer from anxiety/panic attacks. I found that the ativan was longer lasting than the xanax, but it did take longer to take effect.
I am currently on clonazapam. I do best on this medication, I am on 2mg, can take up to 4mg a day as needed. I obviously did not start out on this dose, It had to be increased over time because of my tolerance level.
In my opinion, if you are on a low dose of zanax, I feel you will do fine on ativan, but like you said, everyone responds differently.
I don't know what adverse effects you are referring too. These drugs are all benzo's, and all have side effects. I did not have a bad experience when I was on it.
Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions/comments, good luck!

Anon_963 replied to ldoyle0402's response:
Thanks to both--I plan to check this out next visit with doctor. Really wish I didn't have to use either--but--you do what you have to do!

mendy44 replied to Anon_963's response:
personally ativan works better for me as a adult before that xanax worked better. i take valium for it now and it helps

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

SSRIs, and anti-anxiety
I recommend Fluoxetine to help boost the seratonin in your brain, it keeps the panic away. IF you are panicky tho, nothing helps more than ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.