Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Went off Sertraline in 2011, back on in late 2012, need a higher dosage?
americanguy posted:
I've had anxiety all of my life, some years better than others. In 2007 when I was 24, I went on Sertraline to help with generalized anxiety, mild OCD and panic attacks, which I've had all my life but finally had to try something. I was on 50 mg.

Sertraline worked great, had the basic side affects, but it took care of my anxiety. Of course it did not completely cure anxiety, but I felt great, did not have panic attacks, felt very great overall.

2011, went off Sertraline, then in late 2012 the panic attacks came back with what seemed like a vengence. Went back onto 50 mg, it helped a little but never seemed to help as much as the first time in 2007, had what I call Panic attack lite, basically instead of a full blown panic attack of feeling short of breath, just felt jittery and uneasy at certain times. I saw my doctor in august 2013, went up to 75 mg, that seemed to help a lot but still not quite as good as when I first took sertraline in 2007. There is no 75 mg pill, so I bought a pill cutter, cut one 50 mg into half, so take the half plus a full.

Is it maybe not helping as much because I went off the drug in 2011, would I need to go up to 100 mg? I cut the pills pretty much perfectly in half, there me be a tiny difference sometimes, so I don't know if that has something to do with it.

Also I have been always getting sertraline from Walgreen's. I have heard that if you get generics from different pharmacies, sometimes generics have different release mechanism into the body, whereas if I was using Zoloft, it would be the same regardless of where I picked it up.

I wonder if maybe this time I just need to up to 100mg. Like I said, sertraline never got ride of my anxiety completely, but it would be nice to be able to keep my worries in my head and not take on any real physical traits of making me feel jittery like I drank too much coffee, which by the way I limit my caffeine intake, drink chamomile tea and exercise, and have been eating healthier the past two years.

Overall I do feel a lot better, but sometimes I feel like I may need a higher dosage. I wonder if my body needs a higher dosage since I went off the 50 mg for about a year.

rogerruns responded:
My experience is similar in that I've suffered from anxiety disorder for almost 25 years. The first SSRI I ever tried was 50 mg. Zoloft and it was incredible.
Since then, I've tried probably every SSRI on the market.
Recently, When I tried to just take 50 mg. Zoloft, it did nothing; tried higher dose (100 mg) and it still is not as effective as how I felt o0n 50 mg 25 years ago.
Added Buspar and felling better

americanguy replied to rogerruns's response:
Thank you for your response.

I googled Buspar but was wondering how it works with Sertraline (Zoloft).

Is it an as needed pill to take, such as if you know you're going to have a lot of stress such as a speech?

Do you know anything that I said about generic drugs varying in the way they interact with the body depending on what pharmacy you get them from?

An_255549 replied to americanguy's response:
My Doctor added Buspar to my other drugs only about a year ago; works a bit differently than Zoloft and other SSRI. Seems to calm me down (takes the edge off); still taking both Zoloft & Lexapro

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.