Includes Expert Content
Possible PTSD, from a Trauma I Suffered as an Infant
kyjds posted:
I didn't know if it is possible for me to be diagnosed with PTSD from a trauma that I suffered as an infant?

It might help if I just talk about it. I was born with asthma, and as an infant I had to undergo an oxygen tent treatment when I had a cold, or even the flu, because I could've died from asthma complications. But apparently I had to be strapped down, because I moved too much, and at this time I felt terrified, not even with a developed sense of language. I felt abandoned, because I didn't know that my parents were by my side, I thought that they weren't there, because I couldn't see them. Without the slightest bit of verbal thoughts, I had the feeling of "Why are they doing this to me?!"

I am also autistic, I was diagnosed with Asperger's a few years later. So anxiety is something that wasn't ever new to me. But the traumatic event with my infancy has caused me to have a paralyzing fear of being abandoned, I always struggle with this feeling... Sometimes it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy when I get too attached to someone.

I have no resentment towards my parents, as they were there, but it's just the anxiety that is so hard to deal with!

I just need to know what I need to ask my doctor. Any suggestions?

Reid Wilson, PhD responded:
Hey, kyjds-

A person can absolutely be traumatized as an infant and continue to struggle from those events as an adult. And you have a chance to get relief from the symptoms by working with a mental health professional with competence in this area.

kyjds replied to Reid Wilson, PhD's response:
Thank you for the answer, but I still need to know what to ask my doctor. I have two doctors; one is a LifeSkills doctor, who only prescribes medication for mental health problems, and the other is a family physician, but both seem to think that my problems don't stem from PTSD. With Asperger's, it is hard to explain to them what's going on, I have a hard time with verbal skills.

What should I ask my doctors? Because they don't seem to understand what I'm trying to communicate with them, or they don't seem experienced enough. They are really good doctors, don't get me wrong.

rohvannyn replied to kyjds's response:
Once you find out what to ask your doctors, why not write a letter with your questions so you can bring it with you? Your written skills are awesome so maybe that would help you be understood. My apologies if this has already been suggested.

kyjds replied to rohvannyn's response:
No apologies needed. I think you're on to something, and I guess writing them down will help. I keep thinking about writing them down, but I end up neglecting to do so. My memory lapses something fierce!

Thank you for the suggestion, and for the compliment.

May you be blessed with good health, forever.