Skip to content
Claustrophobia panic
An_255776 posted:
For some reason besides the normal phobia of not being able to watch people in tubes or wells or small tunnels like the ones from Mexico, I have membory phonia attacks. If I cannot bring up the memory of something I start to get anxious. Like seeing someone on TV and not being able to remember the name, or thinking of being restrained like handcuffs or seeing someone in a straight jacket, I get anxious just thinking about it. Is there anything I can do?
Thank you
rohvannyn responded:
I'm sure Dr. Wilson will weigh in on this, but you can do some desensitization for yourself. You can call up the memory or thought that makes you anxious, and tell yourself "this may be uncomfortable but it is not going to harm me." The idea is that if you can allow the discomfort to happen and realise that you can get through it, you will stop fearing the discomfort and give your anxiety less to feed on. It isn't the subject so much as it is the strong and uncomortable feelings that subject brings up.
jlc7111 replied to rohvannyn's response:
The fear manifests itself in my chest where I feel "trapped" by failing to be able to bring back the memory. Maybe it is because I am 73 years old and could be the onset of dementia which my dad had. Hopefully not the case. But the anxiety is real.Thanks for your response.
rohvannyn replied to jlc7111's response:
Anxiety is definitely real. And it's really, really disturbing. It sometimes makes a person feel like they are dying. Yet, I have found out that it is possible to recognize that the sensations that are felt aren't life threatening, and doing that can take the strength away from the anxiety.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Panic Attacks
I'm the same way everyday I worry my panic attacks are so severe that my bp will raise high for no reason at all my neck tenses up and I ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.