Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Anxiety and Depression with ADHD
An_255817 posted:
I am a 50 year old male who has been struggling with anxiety and depression for years. I had a dysfunctional childhood my mom was a alcoholic from the time i was 7 till 30 years old. My Dad was in a bad car accident when he was 17 and nearly died.He lived but had a brain injury he lost his sence of smell and taste and was prone to violent outbursts. I was the oldest so i basically raised my brother and sister. I must say God sent me a Angel who saved my life and who i loved dearly till she passed away in 2007. I still love her and miss her. Through the years i worked,purchased a home, built up a rainy day fund. I did take every anti depressant medication all ssri meds and anxiety meds. At age 43 i was diagnosed with ADHD my therapist questioned the doctors conclusion. I was put on Ritalin started at 10mg per day ended up at 100 mg per day. Then another doctor switched me to adderall er started at 15 mg per day now 70 mg per day plus i take xanax 3mg per day and have been taking klonopin for 15 years started at 1 mg per day now 4 mg per day. I was laid off from my job in February 2009 i had been a workaholic my entire life.I was lucky i had savings and my brother lived with me,plus rented 2 rooms so was okay. I have been out of work for 5 years,had a few jobs that did not last. I feel like my anxiety has skyrocketed the last few years. I think the High dose of ritalin and Adderall have a big connection with this.The problem the adderall actually helps with energy and focus but when it wears off the tidal wave of anxiety comes back then i take the anxiety medications. I feel like i am on a roller coaster or every day is like ground hog day. I think i am a loser because i do not have a job but have no desire to get one,I have no friends,my sex drive is gone and i am worried about taking so many medications ,Adderall ER 70mg per day,Klonopin 4 mg per day,Xanax 3mg per day and feel stuck,do not know what to do,sad,have mood swings,and recently my brother who had lived with me since he was born moved 1500 miles away.We had lived in the same home,apartment and the house that i currently own. So i have never known life without him living with me and he is on his own for the first time in his life. It has been sad for me since he moved. I am questioning the treatment my mental health doctor is giving me the medications . I have gone through 4 mental health doctors and have had therapist my whole life.However i was so discouraged i did not get another therapist when my last one retired 2 years ago. Any ideas on what i should do? I want to get better,cannot stand this roller coaster ride any longer,plus want to get back to work. Are the Anxiety treatment centers a good thought? Where you go away for 3 weeks or so of treatment? I would pay for it myself i really want and need to change. So if anyone doctors,or if you have had a similar experience please give me some of your ideas.I will not stop taking my medications without the supervision of a Doctor they need to be tapered.Thats if they are causing more harm than good.They scare me because they are all addicting. Would going to a treatment center away from my family be a good idea? I am single,stay in touch with my mom.She has not had any alcohol in 20 years.But she never followed up her treatment with AA meetings she can be very mean and negative but i still love her, My Dad did recover but died suddenly in 2011 at age 71. I am wondering what the best course of action would be i want to get better.I cannot remember the last time i was happy,Anxiety sometimes extreme,sadness, loss of hope,no desire to find a job have taken over and i want to stop that and get better. Thankyou

Take the Poll

What should i do i want to be happy again
  • Go to treatment center for 30 days
  • Chage doctors
vote
View Poll Results

jocee903 responded:
Hi 255817
How are u doing? I hope u r doing better and have decided to go in patient treatment to get an over haul in your meds. Don't lose hope and try to get into a support group/therapy group (it is so helpful). I know you must miss your brother a lot but take this opportunity to reach out to other, join club, hobbies you always wanted to do, or even perhaps get a pet (a dog that you have to feed and walk each day). It is so hard, I know, it's taken me time and sometimes I feel I'm not getting better bit I am.

jenygemini responded:
Sorry to hear about your struggles, I voted yes to the treatment center I think it would be a good idea for you to get away from your current situation and you may benefit from a group setting, I don't know of any to recommend but I'm sure maybe your doctor can help or check out some online reviews of different treatment center, good luck to you, just keep in mind you will not feel like this forever there is help out there

morris32 replied to jenygemini's response:
I used to suffer from panic attack in my past !I remember that my gf was irritated from my habit of doing smoking and i really loved her .Due to my bad smell because of my smoking she left me!She was allergic from smoking as well!She didn't talk to me like for 5 months and during this time I went to depression because i wanted to marry her.After this incident i decided to quit my smoking i went for clinical treatment!but all in vain then my best friend suggested me that along with clinical treatment you should go for on line help and he suggested me this site <a href="http://www.anxietyexperts.com/">anxietyexperts.com</a>
I visited this site and i find it really helpful.With the help of on line assistance and clinical treatment I got success in getting rid from anxiety attacks

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Talk to GOD!!!!
There is no question that anxiety and anxiety disorders are in fact painful, and yet very natural occurrences in life. Unfortunately, they ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.