Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
anxiety affecting my life
An_255931 posted:
For the past year and a half I have been having daily anxiety attacks. I have had a few panic attacks as well. It comes on suddenly and I have no idea what is causing it. I read online that people with PTSD and Menopause can suffer from anxiety as well. I am only 40 years old but the more I read about early menopause I do have many of those symptons except hot flashes & night sweats. As far as PTSD I think the big trauma was getting a horrifing phone call from my mother after she was in a real bad car accident. Since then I have to admit that I havent been the same. I also have a fear of taking medications to treat this because of the side effects. This has affected my daily life and work performance. What is the best way to deal with anxiety and panic attacks? Are medications the only remedy?

Reid Wilson, PhD responded:
Hey, An_255931-
Thanks for your post. Given your age, I think it would be smart to rule out perimenopausal contributions to your anxiety and panic. That can certainly happen. You don't want to be mistakenly thinking a physical problem is a psychological one.
On the other hand, you report having a big trauma and you also mentioned that you are afraid of medications. That gives us a clue that there may be psychological issues present. I have detailed a great deal of information about panic and a self-help to handle panic. You can find it HERE .

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Lexapro
My dr. just prescribe me Lexapro.. i just feel nervous taking it. does anyone have any thoughts about it. More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.