Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Explanation for earlier behavior
An_255948 posted:
I spent my early years drinking to access in trying to escape from the anxiety (GAD) that was present every moment of my life. I eventually, almost 18 years ago ,stopped that bad behavior and started facing the problem of anxiety straight on. Recently I retired and found that retirement doesn't necessarily make the anxiety go away.
My Yoga that I started helps. My intake of good food, drink and exercise and sleep helps everyday. My courage to do new things helps. It helps to talk to people that don't say "ahhhh, just get over it!" but to talk with people that are positive and know that it takes everyday to find peace.
I wish there was a black and white answer to solving GAD but its unique to everyone.
I spent the first 64 years not knowing that I had it. I thought it was normal to think obsessively about every upcoming event and think negatively about everything in the past. Performance anxiety is standard in my life so I'm use to it and the tremors it puts on my right side of my face. I can do a beta-blocker to help with that but the normal anxiety takes courage.
The other symptoms that occur all of the time are dealt with exercise, talking to other people, doing new things and doing tasks.
I wish good things and positive vibes for all of you who have various forms of anxiety. Action is important, don't wait for it to go away. Seek help.

rohvannyn responded:
I appreciate reading your perspective. Your sentence "I thought it was normal to think obsessively about every upcoming event and think negatively about everything in the past" really hit home. Thank you for the reminder that this problem doesn't have to be forever, and also for reminding me that I'm not alone in having to work at it every day. It's so easy to forget that other people who seem to be normal and successful have struggles too that I will never be aware of. I wish you the best!

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.