Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
PTSD
kellybreen posted:
Hi everyone My name is Kelly and I have PTSD and anxiety the PTSD comes from medical trauma and this friday I have to have a steroid injection and I am having a huge rise in anxiety attacks as well as nightmares from the trauma any suggestions on how to cope?

Reid Wilson, PhD responded:
Hey, Kellybreen-
Obviously, I have no magic solutions for you that I can deliver in a brief email. You can absolutely get treatment for your PTSD so that you don't go through this anytime you have some medical procedure. But at this point, it makes totally good sense to me that you're having anxiety attacks and nightmares, and you have to figure out how to tolerate them. That's what you are asking for here: any suggestions on how to cope.
Here are a couple of ideas that come to mind. Remind yourself, as often as you need to, something like this: "Of course I'm going to be anxious and panicky before this procedure. I've had a trauma related to medical stuff, and anticipating this event is triggering fear. This is really uncomfortable, but I can handle. I need this injection, and I'm going to get it." Regarding the panic attacks, here is a slew of self-help information: CLICK HERE . I suggest paying attention to step three, step four, and step eight.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Progressive Muscle RelaxationExpert
In addition to relaxation breathing and guided imagery, one great self-help technique that you can use anywhere (even while sitting in a ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.