Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Dr. Wilson--another med. question! Morning's are worse, why is that?
Anon_963 posted:
I've researched this on depression and found that depression is worse in the mornings--has to do with the 'chemical' in the brain. Do you agree? You just have to 'make yourself' get up and get going/busy!

It has certainly been the case with me. I have some mornings where I have wakened with nausea and feelings of anxiety--and just really 'down' and after being up awhile--and usually taking 1/2 dose of prescribed daily Xanax--it eases some. The breathing exercises you have prescribed do help and the things to deal with anxiety that you have suggested--on this website have really helped with that during very difficult days. Thank you so much.

Since I don't tolerate anti-depressants (but am considering asking for another try), I have days that I have to 'cry' it out before getting up and other days when I have an all day 'off and on' crying episodes in dealing with the physical stuff going on and with just plain anxiety/depression.
I am doing everything to keep busy, active, focus on helping others, etc. and counting my blessings. See a therapist (that helps but not long lasting). I really do try--just wonder what the 'key' is in dealing with all this? I have a deep faith too--that has been my biggest help! Still, even folks like me deal with this and it's just sooo---well, depressing, is the only word for it! Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reid Wilson, PhD responded:
Hey, Anon_963-

You are absolutely right. The research is clear that people who have depression tend to feel worse during the morning hours and somewhat better later in the day. That seems reverse of what my logic would tell me. I would think that the longer you were up in the day, the more you would think about how your life sucks, and you would start feeling worse. But it's not true.

Otherwise, you are doing a lot of good thing. Absolutely get yourself moving despite your depression telling you, "why bother." Do the best you can to ignore that voice (which is a very difficult task.) The research also says if you engage in activities that in the past used to be pleasurable for you, even though you don't gain pleasure from them now, THAT will boost your mood. And exercise boosts your mood. And interacting with others boosts your mood. For anyone with any kind of mental health problem, the worst thing to do is to be alone, idle, and let your mind wander.

Anon_963 replied to Reid Wilson, PhD's response:
I knew I'd get a response this week sometime!
Yes, talking with my therapist--shared with her that you have helped alot with suggestions that are so much like hers. She was happy to hear that. I do feel like I can get this behind me--somehow--or learn better how to deal with it. Your insight, suggestions and encouragement really do help. All of us here are grateful--thank you! I will 'keep on keeping on' and one day have my life back---

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.