Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Does anyone else experience ANGER when they have anxiety?
    Jennyb0687 posted:
    I recently started a Suboxone program because I was becoming too dependent on my Clonazepam, followed by abuse of the medication because I became too tolerant. 80% of the reason I started taking the Clonazepam was to help control my anger. The other 20% was for my paranoia and racing thoughts and heart palpitations.
    Since I stopped the Clonazepam I have the shortest fuse of anyone I've ever met. I'm so tense and I do things to try to keep my anger at bay but the second something happens that rubs me the wrong way I act out and I cannot help it! It's over the dumbest things, too. Ie: my boyfriend was sitting next to me on the couch rough-housing with the dogs for a good 3 minutes of anger building up before I lashed out at them for bothering me and I wasn't even doing anything productive. I told him that the movement of the couch along with the area rug moving beneath my feet was annoying the Hell out of me, which was true, but it's such a STUPID thing to react to! I know I should have just got up and went into another room but my brain thought it was warranted to be a b*tch about it, without me having a chance to think before I spoke.
    Treatment - I know I need to count to 10, breathe, and not let little things bother me but I cannot keep my mouth shut! My support group for the suboxone clinic confirmed with me last night that the medication also makes them angry but I'm not sure if this will be for the length of the time on on it or if the anger will slowly dissipate.
    1) Does anyone else experience anger with anxiety? 2) Is anyone else on a drug that helps curve opioid and benzodiazepine cravings and do they make you angry? 3) Does anyone know of a drug that will help with the anger? *I'm on Lamictal for mood swings, Lexapro for anxiety, and Hydroxizine as needed for anxiety.

    Take the Poll

    1) Does anyone else experience anger with anxiety?
    2) Is anyone else on a drug that helps curve opioid and benzodiazepine cravings and do they make you angry?
    3) Does anyone know of a drug that will help with the anger? If yes, please comment.
    • Yes, I too have anger or short fuse with my anxiety
    • I'm taking meds to stop cravings and I'm angry
    • I know a medication that may help with anger, I'll message you.
    View Poll Results
    marilou6044 responded:
    I was taking Xanax for a panic disorder among other anxiety disorders and also developed a tolerance to it. I began abusing it and ended up stopping the Xanax cold turkey which is quite dangerous. I ended up in the hospital due to the withdrawal symptoms. I am not on any benzodiazepines such as Xanax or Clonazepam (Klonopin) at this time and am just eaten up with anxiety. But, I wanted to mention that for a while I was extremely irritable to the point of being quite snippy and feeling much like you describe. Over time it did subside and was something I just had to grit my teeth through. I don't know enough about Suboxone to know if that's your culprit or if it's just due to the absence of the Clonazepam, but I'd suggest that you read about Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Syndrome to see what types of symptoms you can expect and for how long. Also, check with your doctor to see if there's a medication that may help. Good luck to you.

    Featuring Experts

    Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

    Helpful Tips

    Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
    Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    68 of 85 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.