Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up


All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

Includes Expert Content
What could this possible be?
An_256263 posted:
I need some help as I've got a situation that is basically spiralling out of control and has finally started to affect me as I tend to be a person to whom practically everyone brings their issues to. Till now, it's never been an issue but now it's coming from my family and it's starting to affect me.

The problem stems from brother who's just graduated college and is back at home with my parents. He is difficult to talk to and has a tendency to talk in such a way that it hurts.
Common scenarios:
- If we talk about his plans going forward, he will go into this groaning and what amounts to banging his head and shouting.
- We end up with no choice but to shut up and walk away for fear of embarassment and unnecessary escalation
- He has said he needs this and that I've even bought some of those things for him but now when I ask about the next step it basically becomes a skype/telephone blackout - he turns it all off and pulls the plug
- If we try to keep our distance, he starts talking about things which if we even show a slight disinterest, he throws a fit
- He has a tendency to not trust anything we say as he thinks he has no say in anything
- This has led to him basically saying hurtful things and practically exploiting my folks
I go see my folks at least twice a year but they're getting old and their health is deteriorating and this is taking a mental toll on them. They are literally at the point where they're worried sick if the situation will change and I tend to hear about the gist of it and am powerless to do much.
I don't think the situation makes sense and I'm left wondering if my brother's got a medical condition which is affecting his personality or what exactly.
Ignoring the situation is not something I can do so What should I do?
Reid Wilson, PhD responded:
Hey, An_256263-
Your brother may have some kind of physical problem that is causing his inappropriate behavior. But the most important issue is that he is abusing you and your parents. Given that your folks are aging, with health problems, they may not be capable of setting limits on your brother. Thy probably will say they don't want to chase him away. But limits are what he needs. He does not seem at all amenable to getting mental health assistance, although he needs it. The problem you should focus on now is: "how do I help my parents set limits on my brother so that they can protect their physical and mental health?" Get your parents into treatment. Find someone locally who will talk to them about the strain of interacting with an abusive son and the ways in which they can learn to block his abusive interactions. You may need to travel to your parent's hometown to take them to that first session or two (because they are unlikely to do it on their own), and include yourself in the session. This is probably a better approach than trying to have a confrontation with your defensive brother.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
59 of 79 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.