Night time anxiety
An_255026 posted:
Hello, I suffer from depression and anxiety. I am currently in therapy and working thru many forms of abuse from my childhood to young adult. I go weekly to therapy which is helping but it is a long road. Anyway, the reason I'm posting here is because I am having a real difficult time with my anxiety. Every night about 3 hours before I go to bed my anxiety is thru the roof. I just don't know what to do. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

stellagonzalez responded:
Always think positive spend quality time with your family and friends. Visit here to know more about night time anxiety .

atti_editor responded:
Hello,

Have you noticed that there are certain thoughts or practices that seem to trigger your anxiety? Recognizing what is causing this nighttime anxiety may help you to form a plan to combat it. Here are some home treatment options that you might try. Avoiding caffeine, chocolate and nicotine may help decrease anxiety levels. You might also try relaxation techniques, journaling about what you are feeling, or discussing your fears and anxieties with a close friend. Please let us know how you are doing

Best wishes,
Atti

bonhill responded:
Please get a used copy of The Anxiety Disease by Dr. David Sheehan, as well as Dr. Claire Weekes' books - Hope and Help for Your Nerves, Peace from Nervous Suffering. The childhood abuse, in a nutshell, probably caused you to be 'on guard' all the time, which results in your body constantly pumping adrenaline, (the fight or flight syndrome). By any chance, were you abused a lot after you went to bed? or at night? This might help explain why anxiety increases 3 hrs before bedtime. You might have PTSD type sxs, along with 'anticipatory anxiety". I pray you have a good therapist, as so many don't understand panic/anxiety. Most understand depression a lot more. Also there are good therapists out there, but some are not - you have to be very careful.