Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Adrenaline 'switch' always on the "on" position-body won't turn it off?
bonhill posted:
Do other panic/anxiety sufferers feel that like their internal 'adrenaline switch' (for lack of a better term), is permanently turned "on", and your body has lost the ability to turn it off? Thus, not being able to skip even a day of a benzodiazepine like Valium, Xanax, Klonopin, etc? For example, if you're in a near car crash, and your car spins out of control and you come to a safe stop, most 'normal' people will have a panic-like reaction to a real danger. Their heart will pound, they might be shaking, and they'll have other anxiety symptoms. But, as they sit in their car, their body will eventually calm itself down as they realize they are okay and the danger is past. The 'emergency' signal that the brain has sent out is appropriate for the situation, but once the person is safe, unhurt, the brain will automatically, after a brief time, turn off this 'adrenaline switch'. With panic d/o sufferers, it seems that in severe cases, after hundreds of panic attacks with all the physical symptoms that come with it, that your body or brain eventually loses that ability to 'turn off' that adrenaline or emergency 'switch' so one is left with a constant barrage of adrenaline, your body always in 'emergency mode' even though you might be, for example, quietly relaxing in front of the TV in your living room. I have felt for years that that is the case for me.
Has anyone else felt this very strongly in their own personal struggle with panic disorder (severe) over many many years?

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Talk to GOD!!!!
There is no question that anxiety and anxiety disorders are in fact painful, and yet very natural occurrences in life. Unfortunately, they ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.