Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pregnant and coming off Effexor XR
mh3783 posted:
I have been taking this drug for nearly 11 years. I think most of those years I stayed on it to avoid the nasty withdrawal. I've tried coming off it 4x times. First time was when I was pregnant with my 1st child. I stopped taking it cold turkey because my OB told me to. What I thought was hormones was only withdrawal symptoms. I started doing research about it and had a friend that was on it while pregnant and took my chances. Wouldn't you know my symptoms went away 100% in about 2-3 days. By the way, baby was perfectly healthy with no symptoms.
Now I'm on my 3rd pregnancy and was already on my way of tapering off when I found out I was pregnant. I am down to 37.5 mg and I'm advised to take it every 36 hours and then eventually stop. I wasn't given anything except Zofran for nausea. I'm too the point of just staying at the 37.5 once a day than trying to get off this. I'm afraid the withdrawal may do more damage to the pain because of the stress of getting of it.

Has anyone gone through this pregnant and did you get any relief?

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.