Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Something weird happened to me this week! Feedback massively appreciated.
An_257485 posted:
Okay so four or five days ago I was sitting on the couch watching TV and thinking about life in general when I suddenly got a really bad head rush sensation. I have gotten head rushes before but only when I have stood up after sitting down for ages, and these head rushes only last about ten seconds. This I got this new sensation when I was sitting down. I immediately stood up and went to the kitchen to get some water, my heart was pounding heavily and my head felt very weird. I want to say it was a dizzy feeling however it wasn't a spinning sensation. At first I thought I was having a stroke. I had some water and took some deep breaths and eventually I calmed down. All of this lasted approximately one to two minutes so much longer than a standard head rush. I was really panicking afterwards and thinking 'what the f@!k just happened'. I was looking in the mirror as I thought it could be a stroke however there was no change in my face and my reflexes were fine. I eventually calmed down however I soon felt extremely nauseous. That night I also felt very weak and shivery (I wore a hoodie to bed) and cold. I looked online and I thought it could be food poisoning as I had just had a potato salad my mum had left in the fridge. However I doubted it would be that sudden and my brother ate more than me and he was fine. I then thought maybe I had had a mini stroke however I could lift both my arms ok and my face was fine and I didn't feel numb anywhere. I checked online some more and it looked like it could have been an anxiety attack. I do get socially anxious sometimes and I have had bouts of minor depression but could it really have come on so suddenly? I have never had this before in my life and I was just chilling out on the couch so I wasn't exactly anxious of anything. I am also not very stressed as two weeks ago I returned from being in the Caribbean for four months! That night I got about three hours sleep as I still felt very, very nauseous. I straight away rang the local doctors surgery in the morning and I got an appointment straight away. The doctor checked my blood pressure and said it was a little high but maybe because the whole episode was stressful. She checked my pulse, lungs, inside my ears, my reflexes and everything was fine. She didn't really know what it was. She said if it happens again come back. From that day until now (Sunday, four days later) I have felt nauseous for the first couple days and last night and today I have had a headache and a sort of tingling, sensation on the right side of my head. I am going to ring another doctor tomorrow and get another opinion and probably ask for a blood test and maybe even an MRI.

Reid Wilson, PhD responded:
Hey, An_257485-

I, of course, can't tell you what is going on with you. But I can say that a panic attack can cause those initial symptoms, and anxiety/worry about that episode can continue to produce uncomfortable sensations, sometimes even bizarre ones. The definition of a panic attack is that it comes "out of the clear blue". So that also fits the bill.

morris32 replied to Reid Wilson, PhD's response:
Sometimes i faces this situation but i dont know that it is a panic attack or not?

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.