Skip to content
should i seek a second opinion?
An_257525 posted:
Have been through some traumas in my life like the fire at my parents home, their divorce after I was removed from their home because of neglect, my grandfather's death at 7 and my father walking out when I was 8. In addition my mother is alleged to have consumed alcohol while pregnant with me; which if true has caused me to be diagnosed with a learning disability at 22. And so recently after many years of getting no real help with the anxiety, depression, night terrors, aggressive behavior; just to name a few things. My counselor from a vocational school I attend strongly suggested I seek out professional help, which have done, but I'm not getting any real answers. Should I seek a second opinion? I'd really like some answers so i can move toward living a happier, healthier life.

rohvannyn responded:
Sounds like you have been through a lot. Now, I'm no professional but it sounds like you have the answers you need. You know you have had trauma, you know you need help dealing with things in your life, you know you have not gotten the support you needed when you needed it.

Any normal human being would have massive problems under those conditions! What you really need is proper support on how to deal with all this, coping mechanisms to help yourself, and a therapist that is willing to help you build good habits. If your current therapist isn't doing that then you might need to find a different one. Not every therapist is a good fit for every patient. Hopefully the person you see now will help you decide if you can work together or not.

raprincess240 replied to rohvannyn's response:
Thank you for your helpful advice. I will strongly consider getting a different therapist. I sure hope it makes a difference.

An_257525 responded:
  • From a different psychatrist?
  •  
    atti_editor replied to raprincess240's response:
    I think that Roh's advice is spot on. I just wanted to let you know about this article that has some tips that you may find helpful in finding a new therapist.

Best wishes,
    Atti

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Progressive Muscle RelaxationExpert
    In addition to relaxation breathing and guided imagery, one great self-help technique that you can use anywhere (even while sitting in a ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    14 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.