Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Hypochondria and Panic disorder
An_257577 posted:
I am a 29 year old male. Ive been suffering from anxiety and depression for almost all my life. With in the last year and a half I have gotten terrible Panic attacks and an awful bout of Hypochondria That I'm sure is furthered by my panic and anxiety in the never ending cycle.

My biggest problem at the moment is my terrible Hypochondria. I was wondering what people suffering this have done to help them manage it or get rid of it. Getting rid of is a far reaching hope I think but if I can get a handle on it I really think this will help. I am not currently taking any meds as I'm worried I will become dependent on them and that scares me ( at this point what doesn't ! )

I do currently undergo Neuro-feedback that is geared towards these types of problems. I'm only a handful of sessions in so im not seeing any improvement yet but I'm very hopeful. If anyone has any suggestions even with meds I'm open to the help. Thanks Everyone.

Reid Wilson, PhD responded:
Hey, An_257577-

Neurofeedback alone would not typically be the treatment of choice for hypochondriasis. You MUST address your thoughts too. Hypochondriasis can often be treated as though it is OCD. The content of your obsession is irrelevant. If you don't get past that concept, it is impossible to get better. You are having an obsession, which is a repetitious, unproductive thought that stresses you out. Allow the thought pop up (because you don't really have any choice; it is unconsciously mediated), but don't give it any meaning. Did you ever watch one of those peanuts cartoon-movies on TV? If so, do you remember how they made the adults sound every time they talked? All you hear is, "Wa Wa WaWa Wa Wa." That's how you should treat your obsession around having some kind of illness. [I am giving you these suggestions based on the fact that you have been diagnosed with hypochondriasis.> Now, you will still get anxious when you have those thoughts. But you have to cope with physical anxiety while you don't give in to the fearful thoughts. The neurofeedback can help you with that part of the work.

cheechwizard85 replied to Reid Wilson, PhD's response:
I love the comparison to the peanuts Adults. I've been using that as a humor jump off since I read this post. It definitely. The worst part of this nonsense is I know 100% it is irrational. Minus colds and allergies I'm relatively healthy.I've started exercising at least 3 times a week and that does help too. I'm still nervous to take any meds especially Xanax. I tend to have a little addictive personality when it comes to that family of meds but I'm sure it's a part of the OCD action in my brain. Is there a supplement worth looking into before I go the medicine route. I have been researching 5HTP and valerian Root. I'm not a holistic person really but I have heard good things about the natural route .

sw3tflower responded:
Medical students get this all the time. They even have a name for it...Medical Student Syndrome.
Long ago I had a problem with it and one night I concentrated on it as hard as I could and pretended to put it in a coat and wento sleep believing I would shed it like a coat while I slept. I actually woke up feeling I HAD shed it! Like a snake sheds it's skin. You have to believe.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.