Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Any light?
daisychains posted:
I see my psychologist every other week, and currently we are discussing placing me back on medication. I recently had a couple of panic attacks which were each completely different from each other. I have two questions, are there people who truely get better after taking medication and going to therapy, and are there people who need medication for life? Each time I stop using medication I regret it, but I also don't want the constantly have the crutch. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?

rohvannyn responded:
I have heard of both happening. Some people can resolve their problems with just therapy. Some people can resolve them with therapy, but also need medication for the rest of their lives. I've also heard of quite a few people who only were only able to learn new behaviors through therapy once they had medication to help them, but were eventually able to stop taking medication once they knew new ways of thinking and managing their symptoms.

A lot depends on the nature of the problem, the skill of the therapist, and the goals and behaviors of the patient.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.