Skip to content
Should I take myself off effexor? Urgent situation!
bdt1805 posted:
Well I am stuck between a rock and a hard place right now. I have Medicaid, and suddenly my psychiatrist no longer accepts my insurance. I spent two hours on the phone today looking for doctors that will accept my form of Medicaid, and found that there is not a single doctor in a 50 mile radius that will accept my insurance. And even if I found one, it would be months until I could be seen.

Here's the real problem though: I have epilepsy, and before my psychiatrist stopped accepting my insurance she put me on 150mg of Effexor twice a day. Then my long dormant seizures came back and now I have nowhere to go. Should I just take myself off? I know there are some withdrawals involved but would it be worth it?

rohvannyn responded:
I know everybody is going to tell you not to take yourself off of a medication without discussing it with a doctor, but what do you do when insurance won't let you see a doctor that you can even reach? Only you can decide what is best for you, but whatever you do, watch yourself carefully. Even though your former doctor is no longer covered under your insurance, you may want to try calling the office and asking their advice on what to do. The medical community needs to be realistic about what is going on in the world today and they shouldn't deny you advice. Much will also depend on how long you were on the effexor.

sw3tflower responded:
Go into the website of either
www.Pfizerrxpathways.com
or
Weyth Pharmiceutical Assistance Program
I have no drug insurance so they give me my Effexor free. It would have cost me $700 month.
iT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU HAVE INSURANCE OR NOT.
They will work with you to find what is best for you. There are NO charges for their services. They actually care about people.
Good luck

rohvannyn replied to sw3tflower's response:
That's a great tip, but I believe the original poster's prroblem was somewhat different. They were saying that since they went on effexor, they started having seizures again, and they didn't have a doctor to ask for advice because their insurance wasn't covering the doctor they used to go to. So they wanted to know if it might be all right to go off of the effexor, because of the seizures.

Still, that's a really good organization to know about.

sw3tflower replied to rohvannyn's response:
Well, that will teach me to read more carefully next time! I guess I was so excited about finding financial help for expensive meds, I posted it without thinking.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Embracing Today
Hello All, With each day that GOD gives us, lets view it as a day of opportunity to begin to embrace self in all forms. Today is the day of ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.