Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Anaphylaxis shock from unknown
dawn5882 posted:
I am so excited to find this. I have been having these attacks for years. Gone through tons of testing and medication with no answers. They have become so severe and close that im scared to do anything anymore. One itch and I stop whatever i'm doing and start checking my face, chest. I feel like i'm in prison. I know all of our EMT's on a first name basis! Has anyone had any luck with finding anything to stop or slow these down?

Reid Wilson, PhD responded:
Hey, dawn5882-
I am not quite sure what your "attacks" are. Are you saying that you get an inch, for instance, and then are afraid it will turn into an anaphylaxis shock, and so you freak out about that? Like you have a panic attack in anticipation of it?

dawn5882 replied to Reid Wilson, PhD's response:
It usually starts with an all over itchy sensation. Then I develop hives on my neck, face, and torso. My eyes swell and my chest gets heavy, I start coughing uncontrollably feels like something is stuck in my throat. My stomach has horrible pains sometimes I vomit. Emt reports say that I have very little air movement upon arrival, bp is extremely low, sometimes I am conscious sometimes not.

Reid Wilson, PhD replied to dawn5882's response:
So sorry to be delayed in responding to you; I have been traveling for two weeks. This does not sound like a panic attack. It sounds like you need to get to the bottom of this with your physician.You should rule out any physical problems or causes before you start looking atpsychological issues.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.