Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
"White coat" syndrome run amok!
jaywalkingtx posted:
I'm a 42 year old male and I've suffered from bouts of moderate to severe anxiety disorder, panic attacks, and depression since I was about 10. I've tried "talk" therapy, antidepressants, and a combination of the two with limited and mostly short-term success. About every ten years or so I will experience an extended and severe bout. This most recently occurred beginning in 2009 and lasted almost 4 years before my life could return to some state of normal. But, anxiety is something I suffer daily...especially in regards to my health.

As anxious as I am about being sick, however, I'm even more anxious about going to the doctor. That has been true since I was a young kid, but recently has just become ridiculous. I was diagnosed with hypertension in 2001 and have been taking medication for it since then. The problem is that no one really knows how hypertensive I really am because my blood pressure shoots through the roof at the mere thought of having it taken. Even now, as I write this, I feel that same anxiety. Needless to say, when I go to see a doctor, I'm on edge for days beforehand and by the time I get there I'm a complete basket case and I feel like crap for days afterward. I've been "fired" by two different doctors because they don't know how to handle me.

Now, I'm desperate. I'm at an age where I need to be even more conscious about my physical health, but I'm at a point where going to the doctor has become such an ordeal that I just don't do it. I don't know what to do. How do I find a doctor that can understand and work with me without just throwing a pill at the problem and telling me to take a Xanax before I come? I don't want to do that because I don't like the side effects.

Is there any hope for me at all or do I just have to settle for an existence that requires a 3 hour doctor visit every time I go because my BP is so high they want to run tests to make sure I'm not having a heart attack or something?

Seriously...........I'm desperate! Please help!!

vivavegas99 responded:
Hi. I am sorry for what you are going through. Have you tried bringing a friend with you? That may help .. so you can talk to her/him. Try to seek homeopathic ways like there is a spray I don't remember the name but it helps calm you down. A spray into your mouth. Listening to calming music may help too. I use pandora and put it on Mazzy Star..and close my eyes. You need to learn how to breath as well. Even I do too. I never thought I had anxiety ever. I am not afraid of being in crowds, on stage or anything. Do some googling for techniques. I am sorry I am new to this one for me. I am bp 1 have PTSD and ADHD and now Anxiety/Panic Attacks. I had to go by ambulance when I was at a lunch yesterday. So damn embarrassing. But at least I didn't die as I thought I was. And today I can breathe normally which is good.

rohvannyn responded:
A couple of things: it is much harder for the body to be physically anxious if you are taking deep, calm breaths. It can be hard to do that at first but if you are taking shallow, fast breaths, you can even cause anxiety in yourself. I've done it!

The homeopathic spray the other poster was talking about is Bach Flower Remedies Rescue Remedy. Some people swear by it. If you accept homeopathy as valid it may work for you. Some people bring essential oils to smell, the nose can be a powerful thing when it comes to mood. Good oils for that would be lavender or rose. Especially lavender. Vanilla might work too.

I know the anxiety you have might not be influenced much by these methods, of them all the breathing is most likely to work because of simple physiology. Good luck!

ademing responded:
Hi there. First, I just want to say you can overcome this. There has to be a solution that works for you.
The deep breathing is a great idea. Relax your stomach and breath from the belly button. Be aware of the belly button going out and in calmly and slowly.
Also, know that your Doctor's are there to help you. Really know it. They want the best for your mental and physical health. Your going there to get better.
Try making a list of talking points. Having a list of what I want/need to talk about always calms me down a bit.
Now this next piece of advice might seem out there, but if your able, try exercising before going. Exercise is one of the best ways of relaxing. Even if your swety and stinky, just go right from wherever you exercised right to the doctor's office. This may help to relax and calm you and your mind
Good luck and God bless

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.