Skip to content
PTSD in Severe panic and flashback land
briannama posted:
I have been prey to multiple horrific attacks. Some days I am a ball of fear and nothing more. when I go out alone I have such panic attacks that I completely lose consciousness - thus adding to my fear.
Has anyone else felt this? Suggestions please? My mind is open, I hate being so afraid. I don't want to be afraid anymore.

whatsupbuttercup responded:
Have you seen a counsellor or your family doc? There are lots of options for you! I'm so sorry you've been through attacks. No one deserves to have their sense of safety shattered like that.

I've never been so panicked I lose consciousness, but I certainly have had panic associated with going out away from my home, alone or with people. Have you tried breathing exercises, or other grounding techniques? Deep breathing along with saying calming things to myself over and over help me. Also, playing a game on my phone can do the trick too!

briannama replied to whatsupbuttercup's response:
I do practice grounding and deep breathing yes. I have been seeing a therapist for nearly three years now. I have D.I.D. and it has been 34 days since the last attack. Sometimes it feels as though it is never going to end. I used to keep my mind in my phone, but have learned that to be aware of my surroundings, I cannot do that. So, still trying to figure things out.
Thanks for your response ... I appreciate it!

rohvannyn responded:
My spouse, who has bad PTSD, has always said that the main thing she does when she has a bad flashback is breathe deeply, and remind herself over and over "that was then, this is now, I am not in that situation right now."

I wish you the best. I know it's not easy to go through what you go through.

briannama replied to rohvannyn's response:
You are right, that is great to remind myself of. I will keep that in my back pocket! Thanks! I will say a prayer for your wife!

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.