Skip to content
I'm 15 and I'm a mess
freeicecream posted:
Hi I'm a 15 year old girl, and I think I have anxiety
Lately I've been feeling really scared and panicky.
I'll have really irrational thoughts, and it really frightens me and I feel like I'm going crazy
I'm scared to tell my mom cause usually she doesn't really think it's anything...

Also, I'm scared to watch psychotic thrillers cause I'm scared I'll start to think like that...
I watched Shutter Island and now I'm becoming really scared I'll start acting like the movie

I don't know... I just feel really scared that I'm going crazy D:
I don't know what to do and I feel extremely alone

rohvannyn responded:
Hey there, sorry you are feeling so anxious! Even though I don't think you are going crazy, your feelings are still valid and help is out there. There are things you can do to help yourself feel better. You don't have to be a slave to anxiety and fear. Start by checking out the link on Dr. WIlson's profile, it's a really helpful site with great tips. If you talk to your mom, understanding a litle more about what anxiety is and how it works will help you.

What's helped me in the past is to breathe deeply (your body can't give you as many fear signals if you do that), remind myself that I am in control, and mentally "move toward" whatever it is I am scared of. If you mentally "run from" these thoughts and feelings, and try to avoid them, they get stronger and you become more afraid. If you face them, accept they are there, and remember that you still have the choice of how to react, you will have beaten them.

Good luck, my friend!

freeicecream replied to rohvannyn's response:
Thank you so much. This helped me a lot.

eric_champlin responded:
Did your symptoms happen sporadically, or did you see a gradual increase? I was in your place a couple of years ago, and I can tell you that time heals your problems (along with seeing psychologists/counselors/psychiatrists). After months, you'll see that you are, in fact, NOT going crazy. My symptoms started 28 months ago, so I have 28 months of proof that everything is okay. Your brain is just on high-alert for some reason, and it takes time for it to calm down. Talking to someone about it is a MUST (preferably a professional counselor/psychologist). I hope this helped!

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.