Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    I'm 15 and I need help
    freeicecream posted:
    I'm a girl, and I think I have anxiety. One day I was thinking and the thought of hurting others popped in my mind. It frightened me and it started to scare me. This was last week and I'm still scared. I haven't been thinking the same way and I'm afraid to watch the news cause maybe it'll show someone who was murdered, and that'll scare me because I'll get the scary thoughts. I've also been feeling like I'm going crazy...

    It's really horrible, and I'm scared. I need reassurance and some help
    momuv4girls responded:
    That's good you wrote. Can you talk with your parents, or a trusted adult about your thoughts?

    DBT therapy is really helpful for these intrusive thoughts and you can learn tools to help you when these thoughts come in to your head. Sometimes its as easy as distracting yourself purposely, other times you may need to use a different approach.

    I urge you to talk to one of your parents - maybe write them a letter if talking face to face at first is too hard.
    I think this article offers some good tips on how to talk to your parents:

    Take care!!!
    Reid Wilson, PhD responded:
    Hey, freeicecream -
    I know those thoughts of hurting other people are quite scary! They come suddenly, out of nowhere, and will shock you. But we know a lot about what causes these thoughts and how to manage them. Ideally, you should see a health professional who works with anxiety in order to confirm what is causing the problem. If it is an obsession (a thought, image, or impulse that scares the heck out of you) and is not something that you have any interest in acting on, then you need to treat it as an obsession. The majority of people have an obsession from time to time. The issue comes when you begin to worry that you may act on the obsession. Obsessions take over a person's life when the person gives it credibility, as though the thought is important. You will need to "rise above" the content ("I might act on my thought and harm someone"). Instead, work on saying, "There's another one of those stupid obsessions. They are SO annoying, and they really scare me. But I can handle them." Then move on. You will feel some residual anxiety from the scary thought, but you can cope with that. One of the worst things you can do is to try to prevent the thoughts from popping up. They are just going to pop up; don't worry about that part. Address how you respond to them when they pop up. If you want, you can find more information about how to handle these types of obsessions HERE .

    Featuring Experts

    Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

    Helpful Tips

    Successfully beat Effexor withdrawal - Here is how I did it:
    This is a Success Story and Instructions on Beating Effexor Withdrawal. I spent hours reading these forums and found that there were many, ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    14 of 14 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.