Skip to content
Anxiety on children
An_258646 posted:
Hello there,

My daughter is only 6 years old and constantly popping/cracking her fingers, wrist and toes. She has to always be doing this all day, every day. I am worried for her, she is only 6 and she feels the urge to continue. I have taken her for a visit at the doctors office and her provider said to wait it out. She should stop on her own but I am not sure about that. I believe it might be an anxiety issue. Is there anything I can do besides a primary doctor visit where I can have an answer?

momuv4girls responded:
My oldest daughter did/does this too. She used to do it a lot, and over the years it's become less and less frequent.

Honestly, if its not interrupting her daily activities and she isn't obsessed with doing it, I'd probably just ignore it.
Sometimes when you stop giving a behavior attention, the child will naturally reduce the behavior.

If she continues to do it in an obsessive manner, and/or starts another behavior (pulling out hair, tantrums, constant worry), then you may want to seek out a Child Psychologist to evaluate her.
Here is an article that may be helpful:
http://www.anxietybc.com/parent/index.php

Take care!
-Kathleen

cristal89 replied to momuv4girls's response:
Thank you very much!

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.