Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
why am I feeling this way
bobby719 posted:
ok I've had anxiety for a few years and recently it's been worse and doesn't feel like the normal anxiety or panic attacks I've had in the past. I'm used to the hyperventilation and numbness in the hands and feet and chest tightness a little lightheaded, but yesterday I woke up in the middle of the night feeling like I couldn't breath and kinda felt like parts of my body weren't there so I felt my chest, legs, arms etc I wasn't able to go back to sleep because I was panicking and this has happened almost every day this week but last night was the worst and I felt lightheaded all day and I had chest pains but was fairly calm no numbness or hyperventilating but still didn't feel right so I went to a local urgent care and while I was waiting to be called back I had a slight pain in my left arm but didn't think anything of it until the doctor asked when I was telling him about my symptoms. then he sent me to the hospital we to have some tests done on my heart to be sure and everything came back fine they told me I had a panic attack but it didn't feel like one at all and today I still have felt lightheaded all day and have had times where It seems like a part of my body isn't there and it causes me to panic and some nausea and feeling like I'm gonna pass out but no numbness or hypervenilating. any ideas of what this is?

Reid Wilson, PhD responded:
Hey, Bobby719-

I'm sorry to hear of all your uncomfortable symptoms lasting most of the day. I know they are a puzzle to you. The first thing to do is to settle whether or not there is any physical problem going on. Even if the doctors settle it, you must settle it inside yourself. Do you trust the urgent care physicians and the physicians at the hospital who made their conclusions? If you don't, then see your primary care doctor and talk that over.
I don't think your symptoms are uncommon as an expression of anxiety. When one has panic attacks, or any new and novel physical sensations that are unexplained, one can stay pretty worked up most of the day. So the lightheadedness and a sense that part of your body isn't there could absolutely be signs of anxiety. But I don't know if they are in your case.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.