Skip to content
WalMart: $9 Albuterol HFA Inhalers?
MrMedSaver posted:
Didn't know if any of you have heard, but Wal-Mart will soon start selling Ventolin HFA inhalers (a brand of albuterol HFA inhaler) for $9 . . . but there's a catch that Wal-Mart isn't fully explaining. These inhalers will only have 60 puffs, compared to 200 puffs for all other standard HFA inhalers. I wrote a blog article about this with more information, breaking down the full costs, etc.:

blog.mrmedsaver.com/2009/01/wal-marts-9-inhalers-too-good-to-be.html

Jacob Milbradt, PharmD

Aqua14 responded:
Interesting; thanks for sharing.

These might be useful for those with very mild asthma who use their albuterol inhaler only a couple of times a month, or as a spare "backup" inhaler just in case. I'm going to look into it for my preteen son, since he never seems to be able to find his albuterol inhaler when I ask him where it is.

Judy

MrMedSaver responded:
These inhalers might be useful for such situations. However, you need to keep in mind that this brand of HFA inhaler-Ventolin HFA-needs to be replaced two months after it's removed from its packaging. Unlike other albuterol HFA inhalers, Ventolin HFA has no preservatives.

Jacob Milbradt, PharmD

www.MrMedSaver.com

Aqua14 responded:
Thank you so much! I will keep this in mind -- I did not know that. Your information is very valuable -- thanks for sharing your professional expertise with us. Judy

bailsgirl responded:
I thought Ventolin needed to be discarded six months after opening the packaging. That's what the labeling says???

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center