Skip to content
Dealing with Asthma and daily life
randygirl posted:
Hi,

My Name is Randy and I am 38 yrs old. I was formally diagnosed as an asthmatic 21 yrs ago,with every year getting worse. And now at 38 I find my self on so much asthma meds that I have to carry a list of medications with me at all times, holding down a full time job to support my family is becoming more difficult because of missed time. I try not to get down, but it is so hard not to. Is thier anyone else who feels like I do.?

love_eyeore responded:
HI Randy- I'm 32 years old and have had asthma for...25 years. I just posted a message a few posts up or down titled something about not having time for asthma! I think you might find that we have some things in common if you read it. Maybe it's on Dr E's board. I can't remember, just look for my user name. Anyway I TOTALLY get what you are going through!! I have a list of meds in my purse at all times. Also i totally get the financial piece and trying to hold a job down. It's so frustrating! I spend a lot of time in the hospital and that is hard on the pay check and on my credibility as a employee.

Anyway welcome to the boards, you will find A LOT of support here. Keep posting, and keep your chin up.

Jess

Mary_M1959 responded:
Hi Randy ~

I'm 49 years old and was diagnosed with asthma about 15 years ago. I too have asthma medications with me at all times. The medication does get expensive, even with just a copay..as benefit coverage isn't what it used to be. I also miss more work time because of the asthma.

It's really hard dealing with all of that and the suffering that asthma brings to us on a daily basis. Not being able to breathe good is scary and it's really tough. In addition to that I find that nobody close to me (family or friends) really accepts and understands just how much I suffer and how hard it is. They kind of blow it off. That hurts too.

So, to answer your question, YES. There are many others of us out here, understanding what you are going through. This message board is great comfort. Come and check it out often. It really helps me out.

All the best to you.

mpp0829 responded:
Hi, Sure do feel down. I am 34 diagnosed when I was 20. I carry a list of meds with me cause I find it difficult to remember what I am on. It changes alot also. Recently my doctor started me on lexipro to help with depression. It also helps with the mood swings, and anger issues associated with the high dose steriods. I am able to hold down a job because I keep all doctors notes only call in when I am sick. Rest is important. DO not over do it. Know your triggers. Stress is a big one for me. Very hard to take things in stride

memyselfandi19 responded:
Hi, Welcome to the club! There are many of us here who are dealing with very similar issues of being sick, financing asthma, missing work, med side effects, finding good dr.'s, taking care of daily parts of life, etc. It is hard and feel free to come here to get support/ suggestions/ or to complain. Just try your best to figure out with ur dr. how to keep ur asthma under control as much as possible and have a good action plan for when its not so so that u can try to avoid prolonged sicknesses or hospitilizations. Try to take extra good care of urself when you don't feel well to try and "make up" for feeling lousy.

deluxehd responded:
Hi Randy. My name is Debbie and I'm new to the group. I was diagnosed w/exercise induced asthma about 5 yrs ago. June 2008 I found out what it is really like to have ASTHMA! WOW!!! My work started construction @ that time and triggered my asthma. Some how I managed to go to work every day thru Oct '08; having symptoms every day, all day. I also carry list of meds along w/ an Epipen and my nebulizer. I am afraid to leave the house for fear of an attack, because my triggers have changed since the repeated exposure @work damaged my airways.

Definitely at the same place. I struggle daily to do normal things.I have about 1 decent day a week. My mom always says there are worse people out there, but some days that just doesn't matter. My husband had asthma as a child, so he understands and is very supportive. I thank God for him. Don't know if I helped, but I find it to be a therapy to share.

Debbie

shaymay responded:
Hi Yes I and my children deal with asthma and allergies as you know you can not have one without the other I am 29 and my kids are 5 and 6 the older one is more controled however not the younger one she has a bunch of meds I was told by my grandma a long time ago that it helps to use a teaspoon of honey that is from a honey farm close to your home with some time it helps with your allergies just a thought for you and make sure you talk with your doctor before you try anything new however I know what it is like to have to carry around medicine and the list and the medical records all the time

aslanfan27 responded:
Im only 13 and i know that somtimes living with asthma can be hard but we can all do it together. Before i got diagnosed i never realized what one of my friends was going through but now we can help eachother and your friends and family can help you too.

melsons responded:
Does anyone else have cough variant asthma?

I don't get the deep congestion of regular asthma, just cough until I choke. GERD is one of my problems, with chemical smells a close second, and catching a cold can put me in the hospital. I have had blood tests for allergies and my doctor tells me I have less antigens in my body than a five year old. No allergies, just triggers. When someone asks if I have a cold, I tell them it's asthma, but I doubt they believe me. I RUN away from anyone who shows signs of a cold so I can hardly blame them.

magsnotes responded:
Hi randygirl,

Actually this is my first post on this site. I am a 67 year old grandma. Hello to all of you that deal with asthma. I was first diagnosed with asthma 5 years ago. Believe I have had it for some time in a mild form. Even when I was young, I used to run track and found it hard to recover from short races at meets and in grade school. Didn't continues running because it became to difficult, walking and hiking worked much better. Never gave it much thought until about 6 years ago. Noticed that I had trouble climbing a slight incline.

Then I had walking pneumonia in summer of 2004. Big revelation, I have asthma and COPD. Then to top that off I also had a clogged coronary artery. NOW I carry a med list, asthma meds, record of where my stint is and nitro for my heart. Most of my family and friends really do not understand just how much effort it takes to just keep on keeping on. I speak up if someone doesn't believe me. Just state the facts of my condition and tell what I can and can not do. Treat it as a mater-of-fact part of your life. Most people understand.

I will not give up, I just put one foot in front of the other everyday. In the mid 70's I was diagnosed with discoid- lupis. Biggest problem with that is fatigue and staying out of the sun. Now have seen research articles that say that lupis may lead to heart disease. Go figure. My mother wonders why I am the one of my siblings to have so many diseases. Some of my aliments do run in the family but not all. Am still trying to figure out why my immune system is so compromised.

I guess the best thing to do, is to do things that you are able to enjoy while you can. I used to have a "someday self", that has now become a to do list or "My Bucket List". I am crossing things of the list slow but sure.

Learn as much about your asthma and whatever else you suffer from so that you can talk to your doctor in an informed way. Try to communicate better to everyone. My biggest symptom from all the steroids, and most embarrassing, is crying at the drop of a hat. Even commercials. Just hang on and remember that you are sure not alone. Talk about how you feel to someone you trust or your doctor. Believe me I have learned it is better to be open about how you are doing than hold it in.

Lingua responded:
No one likes to be that person with all the brown bottles lined up on the counter or the one who pulls the baggie full of pills out of your pocket at every meal or whatever...but look at it this way, instead of thinking, oh, woe is me with all these medications I hafta take...think, wow, look at what medical science can do for me! My grandfather died of a simple burst appendix when my father was only 11 months old. They didn't have antibiotics back then. I am looking at the brown bottles lined up on my counter and I am thanking God above for creating the bright minds that came up with the things that keep me breathing and my heart regulated and so on. My life is so much better for all these things, and isn't yours, too? Attitude is everything.

roseypose21 responded:
I know how you feel. I too have Severe Asthma and have to carry a medication list with me. I am also currently trying to find a medication to help control my Asthma I have been on Advair, Zyflo, Spiriva, and others.

ton162 responded:
Two years ago I was diagnosed with Lupus and one year ago Asthma. My list of medications is sometimes longer than the cards the doctors office gives out to keep track of everything. My spriral downward with all of the medications was a year ago when the combination of illnesses put me in the hospital for 2.5 months. One thing I have learned through all of this is to be upbeat as much as possible. It is when you stress over it that your symptoms come out the worst. When it is getting you down you need to visualize yourself somewhere relaxing and not having the symptoms. Just make sure you keep taking the medicine. I wouldn't wish a long hospital stay on anyone. Tonya

Ohtwiggyoh responded:
Hi, I replied to this post cause I'm new and honestly couldn't figure out how to post my own message...hah! I'm excited to find this board. I was diagnosed with asthma when I was 7 years old and I will be turning 28 soon. I grew out of my asthma after highschool as I was extremely active. I made the ignorant mistake a few years ago and took up smoking. Something I will forever regret. Now my asthma is back and worse! Over the last two years I also developed allergies. I feel so abnormal and I often hear from co workers and friends " you get sick alot" it makes me feel so self conscience. I mean I'm only 27, I shouldn't get sick so much! The point of my post is to hear other ways people deal with their asthma attacks and daily life.

Helpful Tips

excercise
have been working out and it seems to help me More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center