Skip to content
Rainbow Vacuum, Does it work?
jamiemg posted:
I have a 4 yr old with asthma and a 3 month only who has been sick on and off from birth. A friend of ours got a rainbow vacuum and she said it is so good for asthma and allergies. We had the demonstration and I am still not convinced that 2,100 dollars is worth the chance that it might help. I am willing to pay it if it will help them get better, Right now we have some one come in and clean our house twice a month, because vacuuming makes my daughter very sick. With the rainbow no dust is admitted into the air and I would be able to clean more often and with her home. I was wondering if anyone has used one and is it worth it or not?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

starion06 responded:
The Roomba (& similar machines) are computer-operated vacuum cleaners that operate similarly to pool sweeps. They set their own pattern and do NOT throw dust up into the air (we're all asthmatic in this household). I have two of them and find them helpful. They don't harm children or pets and are generally under $300. (If there is a Costco near your home, you could buy one & try it & If you don't like it, return it; they have a very good return policy.) They don't harm cords, pets, children or anything else but do help with dust.

Personally, I think $2100 is a lot of money as well. We have wood and vinyl floors & have found this very helpful.

Dr_Enright responded:
Hi Jamie, Sadly, expensive, high efficiency vacuum cleaners and even custom installed central vacuum cleaner systems (with the motor in the garage) have been proven not to substantially reduce allergen levels indoors. In fact, while vacuuming carpets, all types of vacuum cleaners use a rotating beater brush which temporarily increases airborne allergen levels. Therefore, people with allergies should not perform vacuuming and should stay out of carpeted rooms where vacuuming has been done during the previous hour or two.

I just did a search of PubMed for recent scientific studies of vacuum cleaners, using the two words vacuum and allergens. You can easily do such searches yourself and read the abstracts of these studies. Go to www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?db=pubmed

One study concludes, "household vacuum cleaners ranging from $70 to $650 and an industrial vacuum cleaner costing more than $1400 were evaluated relative to their collection efficiency immediately after installing new primary dust collectors in them. Using newly developed testing technology, some of the low-cost household vacuum cleaners equipped with a final HEPA filter were found to have initial overall filtration efficiencies comparable to those of industrial vacuum cleaners equipped with a final HEPA filter. The household vacuum cleaners equipped with a final HEPA filter efficiently collect about 100% of the dry dust entrained by the nozzle." This means that the $100 HEPA vacuum cleaners are just as good as the $1400 water plus HEPA (multi-stage filtration) vacuum cleaners.

Another study says, "High-efficiency vacuum cleaners confer no benefit and cannot currently be recommended to allergy sufferers as a means of reducing personal mite allergen exposure. The use of new HEPA-filter vacuum cleaners increases inhaled cat allergen in homes with cats." A study of central vacuum systems concluded, "the amount of dust or cat allergen in the air during and after vacuum cleaning is similar when comparing a central vacuum cleaner with a regular vacuum cleaner."

There are MANY factors which determine asthma control, and exposure to indoor allergens to which the person has become sensitized is only one of these factors. What can you do to minimize the exposure of your children to indoor asthma triggers? Don't let anyone smoke in the same dwelling (or vehicle). Remove carpeting and dust collectors in their bedroom and TV room. Use washable throw rugs instead of wall-to-wall carpeting. Keep indoor humidity below 40%. If they are skin-test positive to a pet, find another home for the pet. If they are skin-test positive to dust mites, use allergen-proof mattress and pillow covers and wash them weekly in very hot water. Search WebMD and read the book "My house is killing me" for other details.

Davewrz responded:
I went to the sights Dr Enright suggested as well as others and was not able to find any mention of the Rainbow vacuum. While I did confirm some expensive machines did no better than less expensive ones their studies failed to include the Rainbow or any like it. If you can find any study that includes the Rainbow, I would sure like to know.

The Rainbow uses a water based filter instead of dry porous bags/filters and claims to be substantially different from other vacuums in both performance as well as an air cleaner.

Given the lack of any known study, I went to www.epinions.com/reviews/hmgd-Large_Appliances-All-Rainbow_e_Series, as well as www.vacuumwizard.com/rainbow-reviews.html. Out of hundreds of reviews of people with allergies and similar ailments, the vast majority loved the system and said it was well worth the price. A number of people gave testimonials about the Rainbow substantially helping them. Quite a few stated they were able to reduce and/or eliminate medications after the use of this product.

Dr Enright's stated "In fact, while vacuuming carpets, all types of vacuum cleaners use a rotating beater brush which temporarily increases airborne allergen levels. Therefore, people with allergies should not perform vacuuming and should stay out of carpeted rooms where vacuuming has been done during the previous hour or two." I do not know if the Dr is aware the Rainbow was the ONLY vacuum that had the capability to be used for "clean rooms" which are 10,000 times cleaner than medical operating rooms. Rainbows not only clean 99.997% of the pollutants/bacteria/dust mites/dust particles in the air, they also trap them so they don't come out the exhaust.

If Dr Enright had stated "I know nothing about the Rainbow but this is what I think about vacuums in general", I think his comments are accurate. However he does not appear to know the strengths and weaknesses of the Rainbow vacuum in particular.

I hope Dr Enright or others can come up with studies or facts that could enlighten us all or provide some info that is a bit more relevant to the question.

Is the Rainbow worth it ? A majority of people who have tried it say "YES !".

charlieBou replied to Davewrz's response:
Enuff about vaccums! Any vac cleaner will do if the home has a filterless full function air purifier. Peer review proven air purifiers (KSU and U of Cinncy) research confirms removal of airborne particulate, and high killl rate of pathogens in air and on surfaces.
(Take the solution to the pollution). Far more effective and far more cost effective than any filtration device.
CharlieBou.

rudypro3 responded:
I watched the demo and it made a difference while I was watching but I did not pay out 2100. instead I hunted and found one slightly used for 600. It has made a big difference for me both with allergies and asthma as it really does clean the stuff out of the air. I can smell the difference that most people cant cause their nose is not a sensitive as mine. It has a feature where you can leave it on low power as an air purifier with clean water too which I have done on high pollen/ pollution days. I clean it out daily when I do that too. So my take is it does help just look for one cheaper then the brand new one. I also got one of the air purifiers that charliebou talks about but you have to be careful with asthma how much ozone you expose your child too as that has caused me some challenges too. I have learned how to control it in low does or when I leave to go to work or church cranking it higher and it has taken lots of the airborne particles out of the air. so much so that the Rainbow guy was amazed. He had to scrape my carpet to get any particle to float in his lamp. But I needed the Rainbow to get what the purifier dropped to the floor.

manetter responded:
My parents bought one when I was 8 years old. It worked. As an adult I have had three different vacums and none did the job the rainbow did. My oldest sister inherited the rainbow and it is still working. Wish I had it.

onmyjourney responded:
Thought it was important to respond with my experience.
Both the other HEPA filter Vacs I had used would require me to wear mask to vacuum. Bit the bullet and bought a Dyson and was blown away at the dirt the Dyson picked up out of my "just vacummed rug", after using the old machine first.
But best of all, I no longer need to wear the mask to vacuum - it is an amazing machine. Loved to use it so much, I bought one for my son, who just has the allergies, not the asthma. Good Luck!

jjjdaniels responded:
I have terrible allergies and back in 1983 I purchased a Rainbow Vacuum. I have never regretted paying the purchase price. I have had many occasions where I was so glad I had this machine. I still have this machine today and have had it serviced twice in the 27 years that I have owned it. I am severely allergic to dust and ever since I started vacuuming with the Rainbow, my allergies are always relieved after vacuuming. I was shown how to just take off the hose from the base unit and let it run in a room for about 20 minutes. I am not kidding you can watch the dust be drawn into the unit through the sunlight.
FYI - I have never sold or advocated for a seller these machines. This is just my honest opinion. Back in 83 the person let me have it for a trial period of a week, they might let you do this also. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

Hope this helps. I wish your daughter good health.

CT1156 replied to jjjdaniels's response:
I too suffer from severe dust allergies and now own a Rainbow vac/ air cleaaner. I love this thing. Before owning it I had a Kirby vac which uses a hepa bag. After every house cleaning with the Kirby I was so plugged up I could barely stand it. I have none of these symptoms after using the Rainbow and it smells nice, not the typical vac stink. The water seems to trap everything and its easy to empty. I guess the proof is in the nose.

An_246683 replied to Davewrz's response:
Nilfisk vacuums are used in Cleanrooms. http://www.nilfiskcfm.com/vacuum-applications/cleanroomvacuum.aspx I have never heard of Rainbow vacuums being used in cleanrooms. In a cleanroom, I would be concerned about the evaporation of dirty water from a Rainbow contaminating the air. Do you have any evidence that Rainbow vacuums are used in cleanrooms (e.g. provide links)? I had a Rainbow salesman try to tell me that Rainbows are only vacuum allowed in hospitals. I work in a hospital, and Rainbows are not used in any hospital that I've ever seen. I've seen Windsor/Sebo and Lindhaus vacuums in use, but never Rainbows.

Mspeidel responded:
I have owned a Rainbow vacuum for 30 yrs. I owned my 1st one for 8 yrs and got 500.00 back for it towards the latest model at the time! I absolutely love them for cleaning the air, pulling dust out of pillows and cushions, it has a carpet shampooed attachment too. I live all the scents that can be purchased and put in the water and makes your house smell so nice! The Eucalyptus is great for asthma. My daughter was asthmatic also at 4 yrs old and I purchased one then. They have great payment plans you can afford too. I swear by the rainbows because my daughters asthma went away after using it. All the dirt goes in the water and no bags to clog up and lose suction. It's high powered suction is awesome and you can also run it while you go shopping opening both sides so it sucks in the air and blows clean air out the other side. You only have to hand screw off the bottom filter thingy and wash in soapy water to keep it clean after a few vacuums, dry it and replace. Also if you have a distributed in your area they are great about working on it if any part wears out cheaply, which barely ever happens. I would say if you have allergies or asthma, you need one of these awesome machines! Heavy duty and lasts and lasts! You will be amazed at how much dirt you pull up! . Mary

undefined replied to Dr_Enright's response:
Good Morning,

Obviously from most of your comments you have never looked properly at a 'Rainbow Cleaning System'!

I am an asthmatic and when ever my mother vacuumed I would have to vacate the house for the day. The dust never really settled down till early hours of the next day.

Now after owning a Rainbow System I do the vacuuming and to a degree enjoy it!

Rainbow Cleaning Systems do actually work as I am living proof for I have not taken huge amounts of medications since owning the Rainbow and what is more there is a whole lot less duct on furnature in the bargin.

Cannot understand why people are locked into buying 'Dust Spreaders' which claim to collect and get rid of dirt from their homes.

fatboy1929 replied to 34969786's response:
yes mine works great it keeps the dirt out of the air and helped me out alot !!!

Helpful Tips

Inhaler UseExpert
For those who use daily inhaled steroids (controller medication) make sure to rinse out your mouth with water or brush your teeth after ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 143 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center