Skip to content
S. pneumo titers completely absent?
mind27 posted:
I was told today that my nearly 3 year old's "S. pneumo titers are completely absent", despite having received all of his vaccines, on schedule. All of his other titers were normal. He was re-vaccinated today & we will re-check his levels in 4-6 weeks. Dr indicated that this wasn't abnormal in children, that sometimes their immune systems are too immature to develop antibodies. I'm just wondering how common it is? Anybody have experience? What are the odds he will develop the antibodies this time?

He has had a chronic, mucus filled cough for 2+ years. He has chronic rhinitis, chronic sinus infections, asthma, recurring bronchitis, pneumonia & "infections". We have removed his adnoids, done a triple scope, tested for CF, allergies, etc. He is on Singulair, Symbicort, Veramyst, Zyrtec & as of today, another antibiotic.

Thanks!

specialk118 responded:
He needs to see an immunologist here really soon, this sounds totally like an immune deficncey with the antibodies being absent. I would ask for a refferal to see one like now, also make sure they draw all of his Ig levels the IgG and subclasses 1-4, IgA, IgE and IgM

You nay want to check out this web page www.jmfworld.org/ I have CVID which is an immune deficnceny and they can be managed, as of now thre really is no cure but the sooner you figure this out the better ti sounds like you are on the right track and may be one of the lucky few if you can call lit that to get a diagnosis early on if this is indeed what he has, hang in thre if you want to talk to someone that has an immune issue you can email me klapierre@gmail.com

mind27 responded:
Thanks! His appointment was the allergist, who also specializes in immunology. The current plan is to re-check his levels in 4-6 weeks, since he was given a new vaccine. He has had several immune system tests (due to food allergies, suspicion of Celiac & CF) & everything else has always come back in the low normal - normal range. This bloodwork was to finish the immune study & all other titers were normal.

I guess we won't know anymore about this for another month or so.

sgbl88 responded:
It sounds like his dr is trying to cover all the bases. I had the pnuemoncocal titters test done a few months ago and responded well to the vaccine as demonstrated in the post test. Hopefully his system will respond well to the new vaccines.

He has been quite sick for such a little fellow. It is never fun to watch our children suffer illnesses repeatedly.

Try to stay calm and trust his doctors for the next step.

I will be praying for him and you.

Sonya

mind27 responded:
Thank you for your ideas & prayers. I was just going through all of his Dr's notes to work on his history. He has had 2 ear infections, 2 pneumonias, 4 bronchitis/bronchiolitis, 1 croup, 5 "significant viral URI", 1 strep & 5 sinus infections. He isn't even 3 yet! He has a dozens of probable asthma diagnoses, chronic cough, chronic rhinitis, allergic rhinitis with reoccuring infections diagnoses. We are just trying to find out the cause & the missing piece of the puzzle. I would love for this to be it! What a simple fix an extra vaccine could be! I'm praying for antibodies!!

specialk118 responded:
I don't want to alarm you but it dose sound as if he has some immune system issue going on with all the infections, reading that is like reading my history. Now if he dose have an immune issue it sounds as if it may be CVID and I have this, and this isn't as horrible as it sounds, there is treatment for this and he could live a fairly normal llife with this you jsut have to watch out for infections a little more than other kids.

Also for the CF, the only way to for sure rule it out is to get the genetic pannel drawn as you can have a varient form of CF and the sweat test can be negative, I would ask them to run this depending on what the next labs show. And I do think it's highly unlikly he will build up the response to the vacine but like I said, you are hopefully catching this early and it will be easier on him. If you want to talk feel free to email me klapierre@gmail.com, I'm only 24 but have CF as well as CVID and a bunch of other things so I'd love to talk to you if you need to talk to someone with first hand expeireince in this I know how scared you probably are like I said I've been there and am here for you it you want

philnamy531 responded:
Both my son and my daughter have this problem. My son was much like yours with all the chronic lung issues and had an ear infection every 3-5 weeks. We had tubes places, but was still so very sick, an his fevers were outrageous. He reached 107 several times, and ususally had a febrile seizure with them.
My Daughter has not had any of the lung issues, but had an ear infection from birth that we could not get rid of. Even after ear tubes, she kept getting them. Finally after 6 months of the tubes, no more ear infections. She is just not getting high fevers with no apparent cause often for 3-5 days at a time. Sustaining in the 102-104 range.
Once my son was re-vaccinated, he completely got better. No more asthma, no bronchitis, only one Pneumonia since.
We are waiting to see an immunologist for my daughter now.
GOOD LUCK. It's soooo scary.

Helpful Tips

Inhaler UseExpert
For those who use daily inhaled steroids (controller medication) make sure to rinse out your mouth with water or brush your teeth after ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 143 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center