Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Asthma-Peak flow meters
1hooper posted:
Do I need a prescription to purchase a peak flow meter?

brits685 responded:
You don't need a prescription to buy a peak flow meter, unless your insurance will cover it. My insurance wouldn't so I could get any peak flow I wanted and replace it at my convenience. You can buy peak flow meters at any local pharmacy or even on-line. I bought a new one from Amazon.com. It is battery powered and you can buy the software to download the readings to your computer to keep track of your numbers. It is called Microlife PF 100 Peak Flow Meter for Spirometry with FEV1. I love this peak flow meter. I used to have the old handheld meter that you have to set the zones on and write down all the readings. This one is really the best I've ever had. It is quite comparable to the one atthe pulmo's office. We actually have them at one of the Rite Aid pharmacies I work at. They may be able to order it in for you too. Let me know if you have any questions about it!

charlie891965 responded:
Dear Brits,

I have several handheld peak flow meters at home, which I use several times a day, and I think that the Microlife peak flow meter for Spirometry with FEV1 may be just what I need. Thank you so much for the information. I am going to check with my DME company to see if they have that or something comparable to it. Yes, I had to set the zones on it and write down all of the readings as well. Do you have any idea how much they run in price at Rite Aid, that is the pharmacy that I use. Do they accept insurance for it as well at Rite Aid? Thank you for the information, it has been a big help and I hope it helps others as well.

Charlie

charlie891965 responded:
Hi, No, you don't need an RX to purchase a peak flow meter. Your pulmonologist may have one in his/her office that they can give to you. If not, you can buy one at your pharmacy. I would certainly check with your doctor first, you might be able to save some money. I hope this helps. Charlie

brits685 responded:
At Rite Aid they run around $50-$60 and they do accept insurance, but I bought mine for $46.95 on Amazon.com and the software for $31.99. It seemed like alot when I bought it but I feel that in the 6 months since I got it, it was worth it. Normally the list price is $75. I'm sure the Rite Aid can figure out how to bill it (I work at Rite Aid as a pharmacy tech and I'm sure we could figure out a way if your insurance covers it). Not all the stores have them, in fact I found it in the back of the pharmacy shellves and they didn't even know they had it.

jackrabbit89 responded:
Nope, but today a walgreens pharmacist eyed me up and down and told me I needed a prescription for a peak flow meter because 'it could be turned into other things'- I'm assuming he means drug paraphernalia. I have tattoos so I guess I'm automatically into drugs, please believe that I will be calling his supervisor.

josie07 replied to jackrabbit89's response:
No you don't need a prescription for A peak flow I just ordered one from Walgreens yesterday.

Helpful Tips

Inhaler UseExpert
For those who use daily inhaled steroids (controller medication) make sure to rinse out your mouth with water or brush your teeth after ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 143 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center