Skip to content
Best places to live with asthma?
oboe_princess posted:
I live in Wisconsin, and every winter my asthma gets out of control, no matter what medications I'm on. It isn't perfect in the summer, but it's a lot better. My only triggers that I know of for sure are cold air, smoke, and being around mold for very long. I have had 2 allergy tests done and I am not allergic to anything that they tested me for, which includes most common pollens and outdoor molds, and dust. Adding more medications is not a possibility, because I have other medical conditions and I am very sensitive to the side effects of all medications and most asthma medications make me horribly sick. Since I'm so much better in the summer, I think it would be a good idea for me to move somewhere warm. The question is, where? It should probably be somewhere relatively dry, since mold is an issue, and it can't be a very high altitude because of another condition I have. I'm also worried about smog/air pollution. I really need to stay in the US, but other than that I'm pretty open to any suggestions on where to live. I have tried to do some research on this, but I haven't found much information. I'm hoping people from other parts of the country will be able to offer some suggestions. Thanks!

SweetIrishBebe responded:
Hi! My name is Becky! ok, so I grew up in wisconsin, and have suffered with asthma mostly my entire life and had the same problems you did when i lived there, i thought it might be better to live in a dryer place so i moved to arizona, the pullotion is HORRIBLE here so dont do that! I too am looking for a better place to live, I think maybe you should try New Mexico. Thats the only place i can think of that is dry, there are some areas closer to the northern part of arizona that are also better for asthma, just stay away from phoenix and mesa arizona they are really bad, and Milwaukee seems to also be one of the worst areas for asthmatics. But i was told Portland Oregon is a really clean and nice place to live so maybe try there, it isnt the driest but it is clean. I hope this helps! talk to you later Becky

abbymay16 responded:
I live in Oregon...Portland is coastal and HUMID and it rains all the time. Its a dirty grungy city and mold abounds. They have a lot of ozone issues as well as wind since they live near the ocean.

I live in Central Oregon--slightly higher elevation (about 3100 feet). We live just at the foot of the cascade mountains. The air is dry, mold is not much of an issue due to elevation. Climate change for me made all the difference. I had wildly out of control asthma till we moved here and now its extremely stable. We do get fire season in the late spring to early Fall so that can be an issue.

I understand you wanting to move--the best idea is to pick a spot you would consider and try to spend a few weeks there to see how you do.

Mattie

aslanfan27 responded:
you should probably move somewhere in the south. I live in Arkansas and one of my major triggers is cold air and mold but i dont have very many problems here. Another good place might be or missouri as long as you dont mid tornadoes.

kdallegri responded:
Southern Colorado (less than 4000 ft elev.), Oregon high desert, & Oregon Coast are where I breathe better. Avoid the Willamette Valley--Salem, Eugene. Natives called it "valley of sickness" because it captures the grass pollen. Can't control mold, tree pollens & winter cold in Portland, OR, so, good diet is essential--organic alternatives to dairy & wheat; eat lots of fresh vegetables. Avoid processed foods & limit red meat. I take high-quality magnesium and omega-3 supplements; exercise to keep my old "machine" moving & promote a positive attitude towards this aggravating asthma. Best of luck.

jclymer responded:
Steer clear of Indiana. The whole thing seems to suck. I grew up in southern Indiana and had the allergies from hell. I now live in northern Indiana and since September I've had the asthma from hell. I hear Arizona is nice this time of year. Besides, we're not warm here.

bpcookie responded:
Hello everyone, Im new here, I have lived in Az all my life and have had asthma probs all my life too. As Ive gotten older, my asthma has gotten worse. Ive lived in Phx, Mesa, Maricopa, Glendale, Peoria and now in Gilbert. Pollution is horrible. The news stations give pollution warnings and tells everyone who has breathing problems that its best to stay in doors. My asthma is also caused by yearly allergies and cold weather too. I feel like I cant hide any where.

I do better in the Summer, but it seems like everyone is taking vacations which causes more air pollutions. Just cant seem to win.

Hope everyone is doing well.

mommyabbey responded:
I think your best choice is to ask yourself where you might want to live...and then check out pollution, and if there is cold/dry climate (which is bad for asthma), and also what you are really looking for. I have asthma I have lived a few places around the country..I gues I agree with the lady who said new mexico.. BUT you have to really think...do I really like the desert? do I really like desert animals, including spiders? Do I really like having no water features? these are just a few questions you must ask yourself.

Because I have read all of these blogs and seems no one has come up with a great answer...it sounds as if most of you don't really like where you live and that is very important. Also what I am hearing s that you all agree cold and smog is important to stay awasy from.

I believe that having asthma is difficult and you must think in terms that asthma will never be cured by your geological location. you just want to know that you can be on good medication and that your asthma is controlled in the environment that you live.

nycgirl99 responded:
Hi, I have Asthma, and Chronic congestion.Its HORRIBLE...I'm allergic to dust, and dogs. I dont have a dog, and I am constantly cleaning, because my 2 boys have Asthma and allergies too.(I have lately started wearing a surgical mask in my house to keep the dust out), But lately its getting to the point where I'm starting to wonder,if my problem is aggrivated from the "heat" in my house.In the summer, like you, I'm not as bad, but still have a problem with my Asthma.But in the winter,when I am "inside",I'm suffering horribly! When I go out into the freezing cold, "Im fine". I told my Asthma doctor this, and he told me,"thats impossible,you need humidity to get better, NOT the cold". So one day at home,I had a horrible time breathing, and felt an asthma attack coming on, and so I ran to the freezer, opened it and put my head in and breathed in all the cold air! I began to breath easier,and I did NOT have an asthma attack!! I was shocked! I didnt need to use my inhaler that day!But, like you,I'm still having a problem breathing.I'm very sensitive to medications, and dont want to add anymore myself. 2 nights ago, my friend said to me, "you know, I cant help but get the feeling that your source of "heat" for your house, is the source of your problem." I dismissed what she said. But now I'm starting to wonder,because when I went to go visit a friend of mine who lives in Washington state, and she had "Electric" heat. No oil,no gas,no radiator.She had this unit that was electric ONLY,about 4' x4' on her wall. THAT was her heat source. I did NOT get congested,or have an asthma attack, NOT ONCE.And we spend alot of time inside, because it was freezing outside."(and I might add....she's not as clean as me! ) So, What is YOUR source of heat????And check it....is it very old?? I found out that MY source of heat, (which is gas), is over 45 years old, and has never been changed, or upgraded, etc.Who knows whats in those pipes?? I still have Asthma,and terrible allergies, but I'm really beginning to think that they are getting worse because of the house I live in.(the heat source). Check your home,your heat, how old is it? How old are the pipes?, When was the last time, it was professionally checked and cleaned, the chimney(exhaust) system too. I hope this helps! I feel for you! I have alot of the same problems!!

feelbetterwannabe replied to jclymer's response:
I wholeheartedly agreed. We have lived in Central Indiana for years. At first my asthma was out of control but then we got it under control. Later we moved to North East Indiana to help out my Mom. Nightmare of nightmares. I got a staph infection in my lungs and sinuses. I've never been the same since. Now we are trying to figure of out how fast can we move out of Indiana. Don't move here!!

MissRuthieE responded:
Whatever you do, don't go to Tennessee. Don't know why, maybey it's pollution, but it makes asthmatics have alot of problems. I've lived there twice and, never again. It's wierd, I lived near a swamp for 4 years and my problems disappeared. I've heard places near the mountians are really good for asthma due to the better air quality? Hopefully you can find a better place soon & good luck!

feelbetterwannabe replied to jclymer's response:
we have lived in central indiana and in northern indiana neither one has been a good place for my husband's asthma and severe allegries. He also often loses his voice. It is frustrating not being able to communicate. It has dibilated him so that we are now in the hearing stage of ss disablility. We need a new place to live. Any suggestions?

pljohns responded:
If heat and humidity and bad air get you going, stay away from central AL. I've been here 5 years, diagnosed with asthma 9 months ago and have been having a TERRIBLE time. If it tells you anything, the heat index here for the last 2 weeks has had many days near 110.

We recently went to Gatlinburg on vacation and I did much better there-not as much humidity.

Good luck

jridge3 replied to kdallegri's response:
Can you give me information about how much magnesium and omega-3 you take? I have heard about this but haven't tried it yet as I am confused about exactly how much is enough.

An_246858 responded:
I suffered from adult onset asthma for 10 years. My doctor tried a variety of medications, including albuterol, Qvar, Advair, and prednisone. However, these medications only served to mask, and not cure, the symtoms for very short periods of time.

I finally decided to change my diet to see if I could possibly be allergic to anything. I started with eliminating dairy products. In about two months, I was relatively symtom free. However, I still experienced occasional issues with acid reflux, which can trigger asthmatic symptoms. This is because the esophagus is located so close to your airways. I then decided to eliminate gluten from my diet. Gluten is a protein component found in foods processed from wheat, rye, and barley. After two weeks my acid reflux symptoms and associated asthma symtoms were completely gone! No more asthma meds for me! I had found my cure!!!

It took me ten years to figure this out. Please, try eliminating some of the common food allergens and see if this improves your symptoms. I often hear people say that they don't want to give up milk or ice cream or bread. My response - Do you want to breathe or do your want to eat bread and drink milk and be medicated for the rest of your life? It's your health - the choice is yours!

Helpful Tips

excercise
have been working out and it seems to help me More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center