Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Asthma at the hospital
rvm1234 posted:
On July of 2009 i was tolded by my doctor that i have asthma,i take numerous medicines for it and for my allergies.i hope not ,but my question to you is that if a person has a asthma attack and has to go to the hospital how to they treat it.

specialk118 responded:
Well if you afre having low oxygen saturation they will give you some oxygen, they will also probably give you either prednisone pills or start an iv and give you iv steroids like solumedrol, they will also do nebulizer treatmenst and most of the time they will run a cbc, cmp and take a chest xray and then they will evaluate you to see if you are able to go home or rhey want to keep you longer and either observe you more before sending you home or send u up to the floor

sgbl88 responded:
I had a thought last night that I wanted to share with you. Most asthmatics don't have to go to the hospital. If you are attentive to symptoms and follow dr's orders most asthmatics should be able to avoid trips to an ER.

I am classified as a severe asthmatic because of the amount of medicine I take and number of flares requiring pred I have in a year, but I have never been to the hospital. I have been treated in my drs' offices twice.

Educating yourself on all the possible symptoms of asthma and being attentive to them and reacting apropriately (following the action plan you and your dr develop over time) should keep you out of the hospital. I strongly suggest that you read as many of the posts here and the Web MD articles you can find. They are very helpful.

Sonya

DUKE MEDICINE
Gregory M Metz, MD replied to sgbl88's response:
I agree that it is important to understand the signs and symptoms of asthma. There are many triggers of asthma, but upper respiratory infections commonly exacerbate asthma. Your doctor can help you classify the severity of your asthma and come up with a plan on what to do if the asthma symptoms worsen. That way, if your asthma symptoms increase, you know what adjustments to make and what should warrent an ER visit. If you do end up needing an urgent/ER visit, the treatment will depend on the severity of asthma and symptoms but typically includes breathing treatments to open up the airway, steroids and treatment of any underlying condition (such as infection) that could have precipitated the event.

rvm1234 replied to Gregory M Metz, MD's response:
Also i was curios if copd and asthma in anyway related,or similiar.

DUKE MEDICINE
Gregory M Metz, MD replied to rvm1234's response:
Asthma and COPD can cause airway obstruction which is difficulty getting air out. Typically, the obstruction is asthma is intermittant, while in COPD it is constant. Sometimes with persistant asthma, the obstruction can also become fixed. The causes and treatment for asthma and COPD are different. Your doctor can help tailor your treatment based on whether he/she believes you have asthma, COPD or an overlap condition.

An_189831 responded:
Hi, im actually still considered pediatric because im in 9th grade, but i have severe persistent asthma, and i've been hospitalized so many times that i know all the doctors and nurses in the PICU, the Pediatric ER, and on the Pediatric floor, and they all know me too. My last attack was in feb. and i was in ICU for 8 days. For a usual attack, i take the nebs at home, but once they go to more frequently then 2 hours we go to the ER. Then they do 24 hours on Q-2 hour nebs. 24 hours on Q-3 nebs, and then on Q-4 for another 24 hours.
When i am in the P.I.C.U. it means that after 3 back to back duo nebs (albuterol and atrovent) i am still low oxygen, peak flow, ect. This also means that i am on IV solumedrol. I am lucky that i have never been intubated, and hopefully will never have to. This last hospital stay was # 18 for me in the last 3 years.
Again this is all pediatric medicine so there may be slight differences for an adult.
I hope this helps!
~Cate

specialk118 replied to An_189831's response:
HI Cate,
I waas reading your post and I was just curoius if you have tried other meds to help control your asthma? Or if you have ruled out other things asd being the casue of your severe asthma?Have u been tested for gerd or an immune deficnicney?

An_189832 replied to specialk118's response:
Hi specialk118,
It is AMAZING the drugs that i've been on. I tried everything, (advair, symbicort, singulair, pulmicort, flovent, intal, qvar, zyflo, xopenex, asthmanex, allergy shots, allergy drops, supplements ect). One doctor actually wanted to inject botox into my neck to paralyze EVERYTHING in there. This year (freshman year) has been extremely difficult for me. I would go into the school at 8:00 am, and by 10:00 am, i was in the nurse's office, doing back to back duo-nebs, then rushing to my pediatrician. I started seeing a new pulmonologist, and he suggested perforomist (an adult COPD medication). It would work and i could get to about half the day. But still, there was a state of living issue. I missed everything this year.
We finally asked him about xolair. It is a IGE-blocker. We were going to try it and then the 10 day ICU stay came. I was home-schooled until after spring break. i then went back into school, and was 98 pulse ox. and by 9:30, i was down to 92%. I am now home-schooled until next year. I am allergic to the school. (which really stinks! I absolutely <3 school!)
I have now been out of school for 3 weeks. I have been bike riding for hours a day! (i havent done that.. EVER!) I still will never be allowed back into my high school, meaning no dances, or plays, or events. I hate the homeschooling part, but if it means im healthy, then i guess its alright. Also, my doctor now sees no need for xolair, (my liver must be doing the happy dance)
As for your other questions, i have low acid reflux, and no immune deficiency problems. (and i've been tested for everything. latest was this mold, that apparently can incubate, and grow in your lungs. Thank god i dont have that)
~C.

Helpful Tips

Inhaler UseExpert
For those who use daily inhaled steroids (controller medication) make sure to rinse out your mouth with water or brush your teeth after ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 143 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center