Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
MaxAir Autohaler
Gabbythecat posted:
Okay, so I'm looking for a spacer *and* a way to know how much is left in my rescuer. Some of you have responded to my earlier posts - thanks!

I just now googled MDI counter. I've done it before and not found anything terribly useful. I'm not sure why. But I just now found the MaxAir Autohaler (pirbuterol). Do any of you know about that as a rescuer? It's the same drug type as albuterol, but is a breath activated powder so no spacer needed (!). I think it even has a built in counter (!!). Since it's a powder - no aerosol of any type - the environmental folks can't get upset about it.

I am excited! Maybe if my doc approves of this thing I'll carry my inhaler in my jeans pocket (no spacer!) and actually not let my symptoms get out of control!

Do any of you have experience with this drug?

abbymay16 responded:
I tried the maxair but didn't find it nearly as effective as the albuterol inhalers...but I don't do all that well with powder inhalers. I did NOT find it provided relief at all during an asthma attack for me.

I know there is one person on this board who says Maxair worked well for her..so you might try it. (she has issues with propellants which is why the powder formula worked for her)

Be alerted that the current formula of Maxair is being phased out as it also falls under the CFC propellant ban and will no longer be available in the future. (some reports say as early as 2012 others thru perhaps 2015 with FDA approval)

http://www.maxair.com/MAXStillAvailable.pdf

The ventolin inhaler does have a counter, which is such a nice feature BUT once you open the foil package the ventolin is in, the inhaler is ONLY GOOD FOR 60 days regardless of how many puffs it has left in it.(unless they have made a recent change to this)..so if you do not use your inhaler often, this can be a pricey situation.

I know carrying around the spacer is beyond a hassle, and if you do not use your rescue inhaler often, you might try just using the inhaler without it. I found it worked ok for occasional use this way.

Otherwise all you can do is keep track of doses, or replace your rescue inhaler when you can tell its fairly full --costly at todays current prices.

I hope you find a solution.

Mattie
Mattie Vive Bene, Spesso L'Amore, Di Risata Molto (live well, love much, laugh often)

Gabbythecat replied to abbymay16's response:
Ugh. I guess I'll have to keep looking - and be prepared to ask my doc some questions in a few weeks. The spacer is a pain - I'm not a purse kind of person. I can handle not having a counter, although it'll be a bother to remember to do tally marks - keep a piece of paper on the fridge, I guess.

I've tried the inhaler without a spacer and kind of recoiled at the aerosol blast in my mouth. In fact a few months ago I had an asthma attack in preop, right before a brain operation for which I had to be awake and *not coughing*. I was uncomfortable enough with a plain inhaler that they had to keep giving me albuterol through the nebulizer even though that was more time consuming. *That* is how bad I am without a spacer!

coughy16 replied to Gabbythecat's response:
I might be the person that Mattie was referring to who uses maxair. I LOVE it. I had so many problems with the albuterol, it actually exacerbated my symptoms instead of helping. Maxair is so easy to use, just shake, pull up the little lever, inhale. The med releases automatically when you inhale. I have been told at various times by other posters that it had been discontinued, but so far I have been able to get it at CVS for years. The other thing is that it has 400 inhalations instead of 200, so for me, it lasts for ever. I bought a nice cover for it btw that has a hook to put it on your belt or whatever. I also have always questioned why inhalers are aerosol when lungs are already so irritated, to me it seems like aerosol is the last thing you need!

Mattie, are you feeling ok these days?

Gabbythecat replied to coughy16's response:
I found a newsrelease from the Maxair manufacturer. They are going to keep making it through Dec 31 2013 and say that they are continuing to work on a new version of it - maybe ready before this one is no longer being made? I'm definitely going to ask my doc about it - looks like a good option. If I switch to it, I'll stock up on them before the end of 2013. I could last quite a while that way, especially if I get back in the habit of using controller medications. Not being diagnosed until I was an adult left me with a lot of habits to build and things to learn (sigh).

I'm fine with powder inhalers. It looks about the same size as a regular inhaler?

I had thought that this this is a breath activated thing there wouldn't be the CFC problem. How little I know...

coughy16 replied to Gabbythecat's response:
Maxair does still have a propellent, it is aerosol, but more gentle & for me much less irritating. I am waiting for someone to come out with a dry powder rescue, that would be the best! I was diagnosed as an adult also, & did find it cumbersome being on so many meds, I found myself deciding that maybe I didn't need them anymore & stopping them, only to start coughing again. But I no longer have any patience with the symptoms, so I adhere to my regimen for the most part.

Gabbythecat replied to coughy16's response:
Yup. I was on controllers for about a year - I was diagnosed at about 40 after a life of 2 month long "colds" (!). I gradually got bored with them - kept forgetting to use them. But I'm needing to use my rescuer more than is probably good. The prednisone I started a few days ago (10 day run) isn't helping enough...I'd thought that asthma was reversible, but I'm reading about lung scarring that can occur with untreated asthma. My diagnostic bronchoscopy showed some scarring - go figure. Anyway, I'm trying to convince myself to start doing things correctly...

sgbl88 replied to Gabbythecat's response:
Hello,

I did just about the same things as you. I was formally diagnosed at 34, took my meds pretty faithfully for 2 or 3 years. Then we went to private insurance and my asthma was pre-existing and therefore all respiratory illnesses were not covered by insuran. I quit taking my meds for about 3 - 4 years and my asthma had worsened greatly. I haven't had the bronchoscopy. I would be afraid of the results honestly. I am highly reactive to any odor now. I always had been some what reactive, but now I can't stand much at all.

It pays to take your meds as prescribed.

I posted a link on another thread about a counter that goes over the top of the canister. I looks like it counts down the actuations as it and the canister are depressed. It didin't look big or cumbersome.

I am like you in that I can really tell the difference between using a spacer and not using one. I have gotten to where I just won't bother taking the med without the spacer. It won't do any good and I waster the medicine. It is a pain to have to carry a big purse everywhere just to be able to carry the extra things. Oh well, I am very thankful that I live in a time when asthma care is what it is. Imagine what life would be like just 30 years ago.

Take care,
Sonya
Sonya http://exchanges.webmd.com/fragrance-and-odor-issues http://exchanges.webmd.com/pediatric-asthma-parent-support http://exchanges.webmd.com/politics-and-health-debate-exchange

An_249387 responded:
Maxair is the drug that works for me. The other asthma drugs I've tried have made it worse or I have a negative reaction. It is an easy inhaler to use. Simply suck in a breath and the medicine activates. Hope it works for you.

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center