Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Wheezing after Running - Caused By Post Nasal Drip, Not Being Used to Running, or Asthma?
TangoUp posted:
Hi, I don't run often but am starting to train for Marine Corps boot camp. I'm not overweight, I eat healthy, don't smoke, lift weights 3 times a week, and walk 6+ miles every day.

Now after I run about 1.5 miles, I seem to wheeze. I believe I have post nasal drip because I always seem to have excess mucus in the back of my throat, so I'm wondering if this might cause it. The symptoms seem to dissipate after 10-15 minutes of rest after running. I experience no chest tightness either.

Could this be caused by post nasal drip or not being used to running, or does it have to be asthma?

A little information that might help: I was born 3 months premature and has asthma until the age of 4. My doctor claims I don't have it anymore, but it might be exercise induced. I honestly hope it isn't because then I'll be disqualified for military service.

Thank you,

Ben

TangoUp responded:
Oh, and note that I breathe through my nose most of the time, breath deeply, etc, when running. The wheezing also isn't severe.

sgbl88 responded:
First, I would like to thank you for your desire to serve this great country in the Marines. We are so blessed to have men and women willing to serve. I know of someone serving in the army that is going deaf and was when he was recruited. His situation has progressively and quickly gotten worse. They reassigned him to a position that would not be affected. I doubt that would apeal to someone wanting in the Marines though - tough and honorable group of men and women.

I am sorry to say that it does sound like asthma, although I am sure there are other things it could be. You have a history of childhood asthma, and 50% of people whose asthma goes away has there asthma come back. Will there be a stress test as part of your exam for entry? If it is EIA it will show up then. I have a fireman friend that was diagnosed that way. You might want to ask your dr for a sample inhaler (don't buy one to avoid the paper trail) to pretreat with before running. If you don't have the wheezing, then it would indicate asthma.

Thank you,

Sonya
Sonya http://exchanges.webmd.com/fragrance-and-odor-issues http://exchanges.webmd.com/pediatric-asthma-parent-support http://exchanges.webmd.com/politics-and-health-debate-exchange

TangoUp replied to sgbl88's response:
Thank you for the extensive answer:

I've read that in studies, Omega 3 fatty acids from fish oil reduce inflammation from asthma. I took 2 tablets yesterday morning and ran a mile and a half a couple hours later, and experienced no wheezing whatsoever.

Do you think there's any hope that it's not Asthma?

abbymay16 replied to TangoUp's response:
Ben,

There is always hope its not asthma, and unless you have the pulmonary function testing done and get a good medical evaluation you won't know for sure.

I agree with Sonya that we all appreciate those folks who wish to serve their country thru military service.The men in my family have a long history of military(career) service.

However, if you are having known issues right now with breathing and you do not declare it as you go thru your inprocess into the Marines, you are doing a disservice to them.(and to yourself)

Imagine being stuck out in a remote field assignment and you suddenly start having issues breathing...then what are you going to do? The Military asks you to declare your medical issues, and then does a complete physical to PROTECT YOU from just such an occurence.

Asthma used to be an automatic disqualification from Military service, but now there are many members on active duty who have asthma and are treated. Are you 100% certain that if you do indeed have EIB this will disqualify you? Is it possible that if you have EIB which is well controlled on an inhaler this will prevent you from serving?

I understand your desire to serve your country as Marine. But please don't put your health at risk by not declaring your breathing difficulties in order to get in.

Good luck,

Mattie
Vive Bene, Spesso L'Amore, Di Risata Molto (live well, love much, laugh often)

TangoUp replied to abbymay16's response:
Well I took fish oil again this morning, and ran about 1.5 miles, and no wheezing

nickeebee replied to TangoUp's response:
I know this is all late, but the key factors you provided in your first post was that initially you don't often run, you lift weights 3x a week and that you walk and are beginning to prepare for boot camp.

All the information after that regarding toddler asthma is almost irrelevant. You were at least 17/18 when you posted this, if not older and over 10 years had gone by without an asthma diagnosis.

Obviously, your wheezing was a result of running like a champ, for the first time, in a long time ! Fish oil helps in a general cardiovascular way and is a great supplement, but it probably didn't not "help" your wheezing problem after that 2nd run. You shocked your system during that initial run, and afterward, your body acclimated to your newest exercise.

Lastly, being in running shape is far different from being in shape from lifting weights/walking. I notice, myself, that if I go some time without running, I would experience the same exact symptoms you did on my next run. The intensity of it varies upon how long it had been since I had last ran. Those symptoms would even be felt after being in the gym (treadmill, weights, crossfit type workouts) breaking a sweat at least 3 x week.

Good luck to you!

choo_chu replied to abbymay16's response:
Asthma is not an automatic medical disqualifier. The candidate has to be medication-free, no controller meds and no rescue inhaler, for an entire year and then has to be able to pass a spirometry test within normal limits. That is, with an FEV1 > 80%. If the candidate cannot achieve that, then the candidate will be medically disqualified due to asthma.

If a person is already a member in the military and they're diagnosed with asthma, as was the case with me, the military will treat it. My doctor gave me a lot of grief because I was diagnosed just 10 months after I enlisted.

I know when you want to enlist you're highly motivated, but if you have asthma or suspect that you do, make sure that you're good to go before you enlist. Once you enlist, you're no longer just in it for yourself. By having untreated asthma, you put yourself and your unit and at risk. You make a weak link in the chain. I know this sounds harsh, but it isn't. It's just how the military works.

I wish luck to all of you who are wanting to enlist and I do hope that you choose to take care of your asthma prior to enlisting.

Helpful Tips

help to ease your asthma
been having asthma for more that 20 years, but it took some time for the right diagnostic, they were trying to cure me for alergys, and of ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center