Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Exercise Induced Asthma or Not?
TangoUp posted:
I can run 1.5 miles at a very decent pace, but because I live in San Francisco, it's always cold. When I've run on the on some weekends track, I feel no wheezing, tightness of chest, nothing, and when I run in decent 65-80 degree weather, I'm fine, but yesterday, it was probably 50 degrees if that, and very windy, and after I ran, I felt fine until I got home, whereas I started wheezing and was very congested. I noticed I was coming down with a cold, but I've gotten similar symptoms in the past when I've run in cold weather - no tightness of chest and can breathe in deeply, I just feel a bit congested and wheezy once I come inside from the run, and after taking a hot shower, it pretty much goes away. I was thinking it could be because of the sudden change from colder air to hotter air when I walked inside after the run (it was probably 85 degrees inside from the heater, whereas it was around 50 outside). I notice that I always have an excess amount of mucus in the back of my throat (at all times), and take Flonase for it, but it does nothing, and I'm wondering if the cause for wheezing could be due to the fact that in colder air, the mucus might drip into my lungs causing the congestion and thus wheezing.

Note that in any other physical exercise; lifting weights, 30 minute stationary bike ride, P90X hour long cardio workout, I experience no wheezing or congestion. Also note that today, I went for a 1.5 mile fast jog and experienced no issue afterwards.

TangoUp responded:
Oh, and also note that I'm just starting out running. I'm not a runner by any means.

sgbl88 responded:
This should definitely be evaluated by a doctor. Many people without asthma can wheeze under the circumstances you describe, but a dr's opinion would be best. It would be a good idea to have it checked out just to make sure.

Feel better.
Sonya http://exchanges.webmd.com/fragrance-and-odor-issues http://exchanges.webmd.com/pediatric-asthma-parent-support http://exchanges.webmd.com/politics-and-health-debate-exchange

DUKE MEDICINE
Gregory M Metz, MD replied to sgbl88's response:
I agree that you should mention these symptoms to your doctor. Your doctor may want to obtain breathing tests based on your history and exam. Some patients can experience asthma symptoms with cold air exposure, exercise or during upper respiratory symptoms. Others can have symptoms that mimick asthma and are caused by other conditions. Your doctor can help investigate these to identify the cause and implement treatments if needed.

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
Was this Helpful?
121 of 151 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center