Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Can't stop Coughing!
Jayne4694 posted:
I am 47 years old and was diagnosed with Asthma as a child. Was in and out of the hospital as a child in an oxygen tent for 3-5 days at a time. As I got older things got better and the only time the asthma bothered me was exercise indused, but now it's that and the cold weather that puts me into a caughting fit and also the heat is not good for me.

In the past 3 months I have been experiencing deep deep coughing day and night. Keeping me awake at night. I have an advair inhailer I'll be honest I don't take it all the time and I have an emergency inhaler and that doesnt' do anything for me.

I say it's a deep deep cough eventually hurting my chest not really bringing up anything but I do get phlem in my throat but it doesn't want to come up or down. Can anybody help before I cough up a lung.
Jayne

Kacie123 responded:
I have the same problem, I am taking foradil, Singular, asthmanex, and Ventolin for my rescue inhaler. There are time when I start coughing bad like that I usually take my nebulizer and for the most part it goes away. Do you have a nebulizer? If not i strongly suggest you look into that, it helps me a lot. Although I do have to admit it doesn't always work, I was just in the ER a few weeks ago, but it is better then nothing. Im sorry im not much help, most times im unsure what to do myself. I hope you get to feeling better!
Kacie

sgbl88 responded:
Hello Jayne, and welcome to the community.

I think it is time that you have your asthma re-evaluated by your doctor. It sounds like it is pretty far out of control and you need more input. One sign that your asthma is out of control is that your rescue inhaler is not working. You need more (possibly a pred burst) for now to get things cleared up and back on the right track.

Before you see you doctor, why aren't you using the Advair? That is a question you will be asked. Is it not working? Are you on the discus and you don't like the dry powder? Time constraints? There are several other options now, so the doctor should be able to find a med that you will take. Taking it faithfully is vital to good, well maintained control. The doctor should have suggestions with how to fit taking your meds into your schedule easier if that is a problem.

It is possible that you have new triggers that need to be addressed like allergies and/or acid reflux. These need to be evaluated by a doctor as well.

I do ask that you start taking your Advair as prescribed immediately. If you cannot get in to see your doctor for a few days, ask him/her what you can do now to start helping you breathe better. Many of us will use our rescue inhaler every 3 - 4 hours (around the clock) when we start experiencing problems like you are experiencing. That is something to ask your doctor about.

I don't mean to alarm you, but I do want you to be aware of the dangers of uncontrolled asthma. I recently (just before Thanksgiving) had a childhood friend pass away with a very severe asthma attack. This is a very serious disease and requires constant monitoring and faithful taking of meds. Take care of yourself by getting in to see your doctor ASAP and taking your meds as prescribed.

Feel better and
Merry Christmas.

Sonya
For unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given... and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peasce Isaiah 9:6

bolton561 replied to sgbl88's response:
I too have been having acute coughing, since 1st of Dec, but unlike Jayne, I do take my Advair twice a day, & my rescue inhaler does help with these attacks, but I am having to use the rescue inhaler sometimes twice a day & I have NEVER had to do that before. I was diagnosed with asthma 7 years ago, when I was 44 yrs old, & have been able to keep it under control until last January when I came down with Bronchitis & was then sick for the next 4 months. I have been to my Asthma Dr twice, on pred twice, & gone thru 3 scripts of cough syrup, which did help immensely. I am just frustrated because I had the asthma under control for years, but now this disease has turned my life upside down, & I feel I am starting at square one.

sgbl88 replied to bolton561's response:
IHi Bolton561,

I had severe acid reflux a year ago that caused me to lose my voice completely. I haven't been able to get my asthma back under control since. I have been on antibiotics at east 6 times and steroids 6 times. I had a period of two weeks after taking a high powered antibiotic where I was starting to feel much better, but then my husband brought a nasty bug home that almost had me in the hospital. That was in October and I am still recovering from that. I know the frustration both of you feel. It certainly does turn your life upside down.

bloton561, have you used your rescue inhaler at maximum dosage around the clock? Sometimes that is required to fully knock out a flare. It does more for me than cough medicine, antibiotics and steroids combined sometimes. When my asthma suddenly worsened in 2008, albuterol was the only thing that stopped my chronic cough. I had been through antibiotics and steroids with little to no effect on the cough. My allergist's head nurse had me do a course of round of albuterol every three hours around the clock and I felt like a new woman.

Another thought is that you may need to start allergy shots. They have helped me .

I hope that helps some, at least you know that you are not alone. I always find that comforting.

Have a blessed New Year.

Sonya
For unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given... and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peasce Isaiah 9:6

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center