Skip to content
Xolair questions
dandman1 posted:
My name is Dan and have a couple of basic questions about Xolair.I received allergy shots for a period of 10 years under another allergist with little help. In August 2010, the IgE blood test showed my level to be 1138. Is there a certain range the IgE level has to be within in order to qualify? For what length of time are the shots given?
I'd appreciate any more basic info anyone can provide about this. Thanks.

sgbl88 responded:
You would have to discus this with your doctor and have them submit the propper paper work for aproval.

It is my understanding that there are other things that can cause high IgE levels. I know some doctors will really fight to get their patients on it and will get the ins company to aprove it even outside usualy aplications.

I just happen to read my insurance companies requirements for Xolair today. Its range is 30 to 700. You are well above the range for them. Each company will have their own policy though.

Usually it is long term. The aproval may come in 6 month intervals though.

Unfortuanely the FDA has issued a policy that people receiving Xolair shots MUST have a clinician check them over when the shot is adminstered. This means an office visit. It is the pits! I may have to stop mine because of this policy. We are not sure it is helping me anyway, so it may not be a problem.

If I think of any thing else you should know, I will post back to you. That is all I can think of at the moment.

Take care.
God bless.
Sonya
For unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given... and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peasce Isaiah 9:6

dandman1 replied to sgbl88's response:
It's been 2 years since my first posting. My IgE level has gone up to 1348. After going back & forth with the ins. co. and the manufacturer for about 4 weeks, we finally received the approval for Xolair & be covered for the first year! Today was the first 'dose'. Due to my high IgE level, the dose had to be split in 3 shots! Despite having to wait in the office for 1 hour, I have had no problems.
Due to recent changes approved by the FDA as a precautionary measure, the allergist's office has to prescribe an EpiPen, which I've never had to use before, fortunately. My next appt for the Xolair is in 2 weeks. Both myself and my provider believe this will be a BIG help in the long run. But, of course, all we can do is wait and see.

Helpful Tips

Xopenex savings
If you use xopenex you know it is expensive. My co-pay with insurance is $100. Today I found out about their Breath for Less Program. ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center